It’s Mexican Monday everybody! I’m too afraid to go back through and find out when my last Mexican Monday post was, I’m sure it’s so far back it’d be embarrassing. And a little sad. Our Mexican Monday endeavor has finally kicked the bucket. Not intentionally, mind you, and I can come up with all sorts of scheduling related excuses. And there’s always that feeling of getting caught in a rut.
But not today! (Or well, the day we made and ate these.) Today there’s a brand new Mexicany (it’s a word, don’t worry about it) recipe to share. Meatballs with chorizo! Aka meatballs with flavor! I used ground chicken instead of ground beef because that’s what I had, but I definitely want to try these with ground beef, too, I imagine they’d be even better!
I’m not quite sure what pasta/sauce pairing would work with these so I would suggest using these for some game day grub or party appetizer. Queso makes a great dipper, or salsa, sour cream, even guacamole. They’d probably even work over top a taco salad, too.
Chicken Chorizo Meatballs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 onion, minced
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 3/4 C panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 C grated cheese (I used a combo of Monterrey and Colby Jack)
- 1 tbsp dried cilantro
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 2 links Mexican chorizo, skins removed
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small skillet over medium-high heat saute onion in olive oil until tender. Add the garlic and cook another minute, set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together egg and milk. Add the panko, cooked onion and garlic, cheese, and spices. Mix in the meat; I found a fork worked well to incorporate the chorizo into the chicken. Season with S+P.
- Form into golf ball sized meatballs; I found wetting my hands helpful in preventing the mixture from sticking to me. Place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until an internal temperature of 165 degrees F is reached.
*This recipe is adapted from Renee at http://leitesculinaria.com/101202/recipes-chorizo-meatballs.html*