Did you know that October is National Pizza Month? If you didn’t, don’t be too bummed that you’ve missed 3 weeks of pizza goodness because the Sunday Supper crew and I have over 50 pizza recipes to help you celebrate these last 8 days properly. Just scroll past my recipe to see an array of pizzas to get you through every meal. A big thank you to Coleen of The Red Headed Baker for hosting this massive event!
Being born in Chicago, I’m pretty sure pizza runs in my blood, so how could I not participate in today’s event?! Growing up we had pizza every Friday night, finding a Chicago style thin-crust pizza place in Florida where we soon became good friends with the owners thanks to our regular status. I even baby sat their kids once or twice!
Sticking to my Chicago roots I decided to recreate the classic deep dish pizza that everyone associates with the Windy City.
However, I can’t miss an opportunity to say that my two favorite pizza places are actually Chicago Pizza and Oven Grinder for their pizza pot pies and Aurelio’s for their thin crust cut pizza into squares like all pizza should be!
Back to our deep dish recipe. I found a Copy Cat recipe for UNO’s pizza and set to work.
I don’t have a deep dish pizza pan so I opted for my spring form pan. Cooking experience number one brought to realization that the dough recipe created too much crust for my size pan, making our pizza very deep dish indeed! So, I made it again and used about half of the dough for a much more perfect ratio of ingredients. The other half of the dough is sitting in my freezer itching to be baked into more sausage pizza goodness.
Copy Cat: UNO’s Pizza
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 C warm water (105-110 deg F)
- 2 1/4 tsp dry active yeast
- 3 – 3 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C corn meal
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 C vegetable oil
Ingredients for pizza:
- 1 lb sliced mozzarella cheese
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casing removed, cooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes in tomato sauce
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/4 C shredded parmesan cheese
- Bloom the yeast in the warm water for 10 minutes. Place in the bottom of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook. Add 1 C of the flour, corn meal, salt, and oil and mix until combined. Add the remaining flour 1/2 C at a time until the dough forms together around the hook. Transfer to a lightly greased bowl and cover. Allow dough to rise 45-60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Press dough into a deep dish pizza pan, cast iron skillet, or spring form pan. Make sure the dough comes up the edges an inch or two. Cover and let rise another 15 minutes.
- Layer mozzarella cheese on top of the crust, top with cooked sausage and the garlic, spoon the tomatoes over the sausage (you don’t want all of the juices), sprinkle with basil and parmesan.
- Bake pizza for 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 400 degrees F and bake another 20-35 minutes until the crust is golden and reaches an internal temperature of 190 degrees F.
- Allow pizza to rest 10 minute before cutting so as not to find yourself under an avalanche of melty cheese.
*This recipe is adapted from grberk at http://www.food.com/recipe/pizzeria-uno-chicago-deep-dish-pizza-205279*
- Cinnamon Roll Pizza by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Mini Pepperoni Pizza Frittatas by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cauliflower Crust Pizza by Monica’s Table
- Cool Veggie and Ranch Pizza Appetizer by Positively Stacey
- Pepperoni Cheese Pizza Sliders by Family Around the Table
- Pizza Beef Wontons by Asian in America
- Pizza Potato Skins by Casa de Crews
- Home Canned Pizza Sauce by Yummy Smells
- Pizza Pot Pies by Brunch-n-Bites
- Bacon Jam, Pear and Butternut Squash Pizza by Caroline’s Cooking
- Bagel Pizzas by And She Cooks
- BBQ Bacon Mango Pizza by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Blackberry, Basil and Ricotta Pizza by Authentically Candance
- Breakfast Platter Pizza by al2getherfit
- Chicago Deep Dish Pizza by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Chicken Enchilada Pizza by The Chef Next Door
- Chicken Pesto Calzone by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Chicken Pot Pie French Bread Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chicken Vegetable Pizza (Low-Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Copycat UNO’s Pizza by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Deep Dish Fondue Pizza by Momma’s Meals
- Deluxe Imo’s Pizza Lasagna Rolls by Crazed Mom
- Easy French Bread Pizza by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Everything Pizza Tartin by Sunday Supper Movement
- Fall Veggie Pizza by The Culinary Compass
- Gluten Free Curried Pumpkin Chicken Pizza by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Hawaiian Pizza Salad by Cricket’s Confections
- Homemade Pan Pizza by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Lahmacun (Turkish Pizza) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Lunchtime Pizza Muffins by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Meatball Sub Pizza by Life Tastes Good
- Mexican Pizza by Moore or Less Cooking
- Mexican-Style Corn Tortilla Pizzas by Home Sweet Homestead
- Mom’s Family Style Cavatini by Powered by BLING
- Onion Tart by Wholistic Woman
- Pepperoni and Sausage Pizza Wraps by Food Lust People Love
- Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Pizza by Family Foodie
- Pizza Grilled Cheese by Eat, Drink and Be Tracy
- Pizza Steak Hoagie by The Freshman Cook
- Pizza Toscana by Cooking with Carlee
- Roasted Garlic and Spinach Pizza with Balsamic Onions by Helpful Homemade
- Rustic Bacon & Citrus Pizza by Gourmet Everday
- Sausage and Peppers Pizza by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Sausage Arugula Pizza by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts and Bacon Grilled Pizza by Our Good Life
- Smoked BBQ Brisket Pizza by From Gate to Plate
- Spinach and Feta Stuffed Pizza Bread by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
- Spinach, Chorizo, and Artichoke Pizza by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Supreme Breakfast Pizza by The Crumby Cupcake
- Taco Dip Pizza by Hardly a Goddess
- Tandoori Chicken Pizza with Fresh Basil and Mozzarella by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- The Mac Pizza by Seduction in the Kitchen
- Vegan Margherita Pizza by Simple and Savory
- Candy Corn Pizza by Palatable Pastime
- Caramel Apple Dessert Pizza by The Foodie Affair
- Cheesecake Pizza by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Macaroon Pizza by Pies and Plots
- Fresh Fruit Pizza by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out ourPinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.