It’s day four of #CranberryWeek hosted by Caroline of Caroline’s Cooking. We’re sharing cranberry-inspired creations all week long in celebration of national cranberry day. Search #CranberryWeek to keep up to date and follow the #CranberryWeek Pinterest board for more cranberry inspiration.
I always like to do a savory item during these events, particularly when we’re celebrating a fruit that’s sweet and tart. Going savory with cranberry isn’t too difficult given it pairs so well with every item of Thanksgiving dinner!
I was going to make a cranberry balsamic roasted chicken but then I noticed someone else had planned to share a cranberry balsamic chicken! I’d already done the shopping list for chicken dish idea number one so I had to improvise with something new.
I took the original idea and combined it with a cranberry curry recipe I’d found. I didn’t have curry powder (I thought I did) but found some tandoori seasoning my sister-in-law gave me. I read the ingredient list and thought those flavors complimented cranberries perfectly! Game on.
I roasted the chicken to achieve a crispy skin, served it with rice, and the tandoori-cranberry sauce. It has heat, it has tart, it has sweet. A fabulous twist on a week night chicken dinner.
Cranberry Tandoori Chicken
- 6 – 9 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken
- 1 1/2 tsp tandoori seasoning, divided use
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp cardamom
- 1 can (10 oz) Rotel
- 1 C vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 C dried cranberries
- 1 C fresh cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Place a metal cooling rack on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Season chicken on both sides with S+P and 1 tsp tandoori seasoning. Place, skin side up on the prepared cooling rack. Bake 40 – 45 minutes.
- In a Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-high heat. Sauté onion and mustard seeds 4 minutes. Stir in the remaining 1/2 tsp tandoori seasoning, ginger, and cardamom, coating the onions. Cook another minute. Add in the Rotel, broth, dried cranberries, and fresh cranberries. Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook until reduced to a chutney-like consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Serve chicken with rice and top with the cranberry mixture.
Be sure to check out these other cranberry recipes:
Apple Cranberry Crisp from Everyday Eileen
Cranberry Apple Jam from Cookaholic Wife
Cranberry Chicken from Frugal Pantry
Banana Cranberry Pistachio Muffins with Chocolate Glaze from The Crumby Kitchen
Cranberry Pound Cake from Palatable Pastime
Cranberry Tandoori Chicken from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Oatmeal Cranberry Pancakes from Jonesin’ For Taste
Orange Cranberry Bundt Cake from A Day In The Life On the Farm
Sparkling Bay Breeze from Family Around The Table