It’s October and that means the days are getting shorter and the temperatures are getting cooler. Menus are starting to transform from bright and light salads to warm and hearty soups.
While everyone is already amped up on pumpkin everything, it’s still fairly warm in some areas and they’re just not yet feeling the Fall love. Instead, I am starting the season off with a good transitional soup. Smokiness from the sausage and paprika flavors the broth and the Brussels sprouts add heartiness without heaviness. (Did you know Brussels sprouts are at their peak in October?)
Smoked Sausage and Brussels Sprouts Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 8 oz smoked pork sausage, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb Brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 5 C chicken stock
- 2 C diced Yukon gold potatoes
- 1 tsp paprika
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium high heat. Saute sausage until caramelized on both sides. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, cook the onion until tender. Season with S+P. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook until they start to brown. Add the garlic and cook another 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken stock and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add the potatoes, paprika, and S+P. Bring soup to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Return the sausage to the soup and serve.
*This recipe is modified from Ali at http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/creamy-chorizo-and-brussels-sprouts-soup-recipe/*