What is the first produce that comes to mind when you think spring?
For me, it’s asparagus.
Asparagus is in season from May until mid-June, and here in the US, Michigan has the 2nd largest crop in the nation.
We just love asparagus and typically enjoy it simply roasted (in the microwave) with butter, olive oil, S+P. But for brunch, I wanted something a little fancier.
How do you brunch? Sit down or buffet?
I prefer a sit down restaurant for brunch, but there is something appealing about a buffet style brunch on occasion. The ability to get just about any and every taste on your plate can be quite fun and a great way to try something new.
The dish I present to you today would be perfect for that buffet style brunch. As a side dish, it would complement the carving station quite nicely.
The asparagus on top of these cheesy potatoes is what makes this side dish fancy and perfect for brunch.
Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart
- 3/4 lb asparagus
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 C plain whole fat yogurt
- 1 block (6 oz) Cabot Alpine Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Have a large bowl of ice water handy.
- Snap off the woody ends of the asparagus. Cook in the boiling water 3-4 minutes. Remove asparagus from the pot and place in the ice water. Once cool, remove to a paper towel to dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the potatoes in the same pot of boiling water until fork tender. Drain and mash. Fold in the yogurt and shredded cheese. Season to taste with S+P. Stir in the eggs.
- Roll out puff pastry and place in a greased tart/pie pan. Fill with the mashed potatoes. Top the tart with asparagus spears, trim to fit as needed. Place pan on a baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Turn oven down to 375 degrees F. Bake 35-40 minutes, until the crust is golden and filling is set. Allow tart to cool 10-15 minutes before serving.
*This recipe is adapted from Stacy at http://sundaysuppermovement.com/cheesy-potato-asparagus-tart-sundaysupper/*
Don’t forget to enter our giveaway and be sure to check out these other great brunch recipes:
BrunchWeek Egg Dishes:
BrunchWeek Breads, Grains and Pastries:
Apple Cheddar Chop Bread from A Day in the Life of the Farm.
Apple Cinnamon Buns from Books n’ Cooks.
Apple Lekvar Sweet Rolls from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings.
Apple Hotteok (Fried Stuffed Pancakes) from kimchi MOM.
Apricot Danishes from Sarcastic Cooking.
Braided Apple Ginger Danish from The Spiffy Cookie.
Bourbon Banana Waffles from Forking Up.
Cinnamon Sugar Apple Muffins from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen.
Easy Popovers with Honey Butter from Hardly A Goddess.
Glazed Cinnamon Buns from That Skinny Chick Can Bake.
Strawberry Rhubarb Almond Rolls from Wholistic Woman.
Ultimate Cheese Muffins from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner.
BrunchWeek Main Dishes:
BrunchWeek Fruits, Vegetables and Sides:
Aloo Tiki with Apple-Tamarind Chutney from Culinary Adventures with Camilla.
Asparagus Salad from Cookaholic Wife.
Asparagus Caprese Salad from The Barbee Housewife.
Cheesy Potato Asparagus Tart from Sew You Think You Can Cook.
Garlic Roasted New Potato and Asparagus Salad from An Edible Mosaic.
White Cheddar Pimento Cheese Spread from Love and Confections.
Disclaimer: Thank you to #BrunchWeek Sponsors: Red Star Yeast, Dixie Crystals, Cabot Cheese, Nielsen-Massey, Rainier Fruit, and Michigan Asparagus for providing the prizes free of charge. These companies also provided the bloggers with samples and product to use for #BrunchWeek recipes. All opinions are my own. The #BrunchWeek giveaway is open to U.S. residents, age 18 & up. All entries for the winner will be checked and verified. By entering you give the right to use your name and likeness. The number of entries received determines the odds of winning. Six winners will be selected. The prize packages will be sent directly from the giveaway sponsors. The #BrunchWeek Bloggers are not responsible for the fulfillment or delivery of the prize packages. Bloggers hosting this giveaway and their immediate family members in their household cannot enter or win the giveaway. No purchase necessary. Void where prohibited by law. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, or any other social channel mentioned in the #Brunchweek posts or entry.