It’s time for another Monday filled with muffins!
#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins to brighten their Mondays. There isn’t a theme to #MuffinMonday posts so anything goes, as long as it’s a muffin! (A big thank you to Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm for helping organize everything this month.)
You can see all our of lovely muffins by following our Pinterest board. Updated links for all of our past events and more information about Muffin Monday can be found on our home page.
Recently, my husband and I have been getting in the money saving habit of constantly making breakfast burritos. He takes these burritos to work with him on mornings he’s hitting the gym. An act which is saving us about $9 every other day!
He likes filling his burritos with meat (I’ll use leftover chicken/steak from the week or the typical breakfast sausage or bacon), cheese, eggs, and some sort of vegetable medley. The latest vegetable inclusion has been butternut squash. I grab the pre-cut squash from the produce section of the grocery store.
We used about half a tub for his burritos and the other half I used to make mini muffins. And guess what, Firecracker inhaled them! Hooray for sneaky veggies. These muffins were perfect for rounding out a balanced breakfast.
I think next time I’ll try freezing the leftover squash and toss it into their smoothies.
This recipe makes 4 dozen mini muffins.
Butternut Squash Raisin Mini Muffins
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C canola oil
- 1/2 C milk
- 1 3/4 C mashed butternut squash
- 3/4 C raisins
- cinnamon sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a mini muffin tin.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, and milk together. Add in the squash until combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until fully incorporated. Fold in the raisin.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin tin, 3/4 full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with cinnamon sugar. Bake 10-15 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly. Allow to cool 5 minutes before removing from the pan to a cooling rack.
*This recipe is adapted from Becky at http://www.thetwobiteclub.com/2015/01/cinnamon-crunch-butternut-squash-muffins.html*
And don’t forget to check out these other muffin recipes:
Ackee and Saltfish Muffins from Passion Kneaded
Apple Cinnamon Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
Bacon Gruyere Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Butternut Squash Raisin Mini Muffins from Sew You Think You Can Cook
Lemony Olive Oil Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Swiss Almond Vanilla Muffins from Food Lust People Love
Zucchini Walnut Muffin from Palatable Pastime