My favorite snack hands down has to be popcorn. I’ve had my eyes set on making this red hot popcorn for quite some time and when we were invited to a hot cocoa party I knew this was exactly what I’d be bringing with me.
If you send treats to school with your kids for Valentine’s Day this popcorn would be a fun and different snack to break up all the chocolate and sweathearts candies.
While the beautiful color of this popcorn lends itself perfectly for Valentine’s Day enjoyment this sweet and spicy snack can be enjoyed all year round. Particularly if you like those red hot cinnamon candies!
Red Hot Popcorn
- canola oil, enough to coat bottom of pot
- 1/2 C popcorn kernels
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/8 C corn syrup
- 3 oz red hot candies
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Put canola oil in pot over medium high heat along with 2-3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and stand by. Once you hear the kernels pop, add the 1/2 C of popcorn. Cover and cook over medium heat until popping slows. Gently shake the pot during the popping process so as not to burn the popcorn at the bottom. Remove from heat and remain covered until popping has ceased, unless you want to be pelted with popcorn. (If you have another method of popping popcorn, feel free to use it.) Place popcorn in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan over medium high heat melt together butter, sugar, corn syrup, and red hots. Carefully pour over popped popcorn and toss evenly.
- Spread popcorn out onto large baking sheets. Bake 20-30 minutes, tossing every 10 minutes. Allow popcorn to cool before serving.
- Popcorn will keep in an air tight container for 3-4 days.
*This recipe is adapted from Jaime at http://momstestkitchen.com/2014/02/red-hot-candied-popcorn.html*
You might also like: Red Velvet Puppy Chow