One of my favorite ways to incorporate salads into our menu is under the influence of Mexican Monday. Typically salads are just plain boring, but with big flavors in Mexican cuisine, no salad is ever boring. And creamy dressings are my favorite. This dressing gets a kick from the chipotle pepper in adobo, but is mellowed out by the sour cream and cilantro.
This salad makes for a great lunch or quick dinner – and can be assembled even more quickly if you have left over cooked chicken or stop at the store and pick up a rotisserie chicken from the deli. With black beans in the salad, you could even omit the chicken if desired for a Meatless Monday too.
For a little crunch in your salad, topped with crushed up tortilla chips or the tortilla strips salad topping from the store (they’re typically next to the packaged croutons).
Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad
Ingredients for dressing:
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo*
- 1/3 C packed fresh cilantro
- 2/3 C sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- juice of 1 1/2 limes
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
*for a milder dressing remove seeds from pepper, for a spicier dressing include some of the adobo sauce
Ingredients for salad:
- 1-2 chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 head of lettuce, chopped
- grape tomatoes, halved
- red onion, thinly sliced
- canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- canned corn, drained and rinsed
- avocado, diced
- red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- Season chicken with S+P. In a non-stick skillet, cook chicken over medium-high heat in a little bit of olive oil.
- Place dressing ingredients in a food processor or blender. Pulse until smooth. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a large bowl combine salad ingredients with cooked chicken. (Note: I didn’t specify amounts for the salad ingredients, use any or all to create your perfect salad!)
- Toss salad with as much dressing as desired.
*This recipe is adapted from David at http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chipotle-chicken-taco-salad-10000001215905/*
4 thoughts on “Chipotle Chicken Taco Salad”
Love this recipe, such a nice change from the typical taco salad we have around here. I’ll definitely be trying it, thanks for sharing! 🙂
The original source said it’s 250cal for 2.5C! I doubt my addition of vinegar messed with that. I hope you enjoy!
This dressing sounds awesome! I love a little spice! I’ve actually never used chipotles in adobo but I use chipotle chili powder on everything– so good!
If you try them, you won’t use an entire can. But you can freeze what’s left. I put them in ice cube trays. I saw on one of Rachel Ray’s shows that she puts it in a ziploc bag and grates the amount she needs from it.