My mother-in-law was visiting a couple of weekends ago for a “sew-cation” so I planned the weekend menu in advance to stay organized. Knowing she loves chicken thighs, this recipe was sure to be a hit. The fact that it’s a slow cooker dish is an extra bonus when we want to maximize sewing time and minimize kitchen time.
Additionally, the recipe calls for 12 chicken thighs. Normally I’d halve a recipe of this quantity but it provided extra chicken which I used for the best pizza ever the next night. And for lunch the next day we enjoyed pita pockets with hummus, chicken, banana peppers, olives, and cheese while sitting on the back porch in the sun.
I served the chicken with another Roland product I got from Food Blog South, Roasted Garlic Israeli Couscous. Rice or orzo would be other great side options.
Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1 lemon, sliced
- juice of one lemon
- 1 C chicken broth
- 1/4 C flour
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3/4 C pitted green olives
- Season both sides of chicken with S+P. In a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat sear thighs in olive oil – about three minutes per side. Unless your skillet is massive, this will need to be accomplished in two batches.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker. Add lemon slices and olives.
- Whisk together broth, lemon juice, flour, and cumin. Pour over chicken.
- Cook on LOW 6 hours.
*This recipe is adapted from emeals at http://blog.emeals.com/slow-cooker-clean-eating-meal-plan-lemon-chicken-thighs-with-olives-recipe/*
2 thoughts on “Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken”
I love that your mother-in-law comes to sew with you, Lauren! Whenever I am traveling, I make freezer meals for my husband and I am always on the lookout for dishes that can be made in a big batch and then varied with sides, etc. so he doesn’t get bored. Your slow cooker chicken looks perfect for this!
Yes, I’m very lucky to get along with my MIL and have a hobby to learn from her.
I’ve been meaning to try some freezer friendly slow cooker meals.