I stumbled upon this recipe during one of my Pinterest marathons.
When I first joined Pinterest I vowed that I would never have a cooking board – I have multiple cookbooks, Food Network, and for my internet recipe searches Foodgawker – adding Pinterest to that collection would provide me with simply too many choices! I kept my promise for almost two years – until I started blogging. I found myself subscribing to other food blogs and wanting to find a place to keep my favorite posts that wasn’t my email box. I caved and started a Blog Inspiration Pinterest Board.
I used leftover Red Pepper Pesto for this dish and the result was fantastic. I adjusted the sauce recipe too. Funnily enough, the chicken somehow took on the flavor of traditional meatballs. I thought about renaming this dish “Faux Pasta & Meatballs”. The original recipe calls for traditional pesto – and I’d suspect the result would be a lighter, brighter pasta dish.
Pesto Chicken with Tomato Pesto Rotini
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp red pepper pesto, divided
- 1/2 bottle Lawry’s Herb & White Wine Marinade
- 1/2 lb tricolor rotini pasta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 3/4 C chicken broth
- 1/2 C heavy cream
- Cube chicken and season with S+P. Combine marinade and 2 tbsp pesto. Marinate chicken overnight.
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water.
- In a large skillet, cook chicken in its marinade.
- Make pasta sauce: In a sauce pan cook onion and garlic in olive oil. Pour in tomato sauce, broth and pesto. Cook for 10 minutes, until slightly reduced. Stir in heavy cream.
- Serve: Toss pasta with chicken and sauce.
*This recipe is modified from Chelsey at http://cdargis.tumblr.com/post/18818836004/garlic-pesto-chicken-with-tomato-cream-penne*