I have another chorizo pasta combination for Mexican Monday. And although it makes quite a few more dishes and requires more ingredients than my previous Chorizo Carbonara, I am addicted to this one.
When I day dream about this dish – yes, I actually do this – I get hungry. The leftovers are even just as delicious as when it first comes out of the oven. And I’m not very big on leftovers, pastas in particular always take on a new rubbery texture, but not these!
There are also so many ways you could change this up and make it your own: use a different meat product, add peppers or chilies for heat, serve alongside guacamole, salsa or sour cream for extra creaminess with each bite. Is it time to eat yet?
Chorizo Mac and Cheese
- 2 C uncooked macaroni noodles
- 1 C shredded Mexican cheese
- 1 C shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1 tsp of corn starch
- 1 C milk
- 2 links Mexican chorizo, casings removed
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 heaping tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp bread crumbs
- olive oil, for drizzling
- Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl, combine cheeses and corn starch. Set aside.
- Warm milk in a small sauce pan over low heat – do not bring to a boil.
- Brown chorizo in a sauce pan – breaking it up like you would ground beef. Add in onion and cook until translucent. Sprinkle in flour and stir. Slowly add in warm milk, stirring after each addition. It will begin to turn into a beautiful pale orange sauce. Melt in cheeses a handful at a time, stirring. Mix in drained cooked pasta.
- Pour pasta into a greased casserole dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs and drizzle with olive oil. Bake 25 minutes.
*This recipe is adapted from Elise at http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chorizo_mac_and_cheese/*
Come join Mac and Cheese Mania at Nutmeg Nanny and Rachel Cooks sponsored by Door to Door Organics and OXO!
One thought on “Chorizo Mac and Cheese”