I have been sitting on this cake for months! And that is not an exaggeration. Tammy of Living the Gourmet is hosting and announced the theme of “Strawberry Bundts” back in spring and I baked this beauty in early June.
#BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient.
We eat strawberries by the pound here. They’ve been my kids’ favorite food/fruit for well over a year now. With a weekly Farmers Market across the street dishing out California fresh berries year round, we’re never without these red beauties.
And yes, this is my fourth strawberry recipe since my “break“. Told you we like strawberries around here!
When I think of using strawberries in a creative way I immediately go to balsamic vinegar. So, is that really creative? Meh. It’s a delicious combination either way.
This cake has a lot of moving parts. Cake. Frosting. Drizzle. Berries. And is it all worth it? Yes! Will I do it all again? Yes! I have some of the frosting in the freezer and Firecracker can’t stop talking about baking a strawberry cake with Tilly when she comes to visit. (Update: He forgot all about baking anything once she was here. We kept busy creating his Homeschooling corner, hanging artwork that’s been leaning against the wall for the past 16 months, going to the beach and the tide pools, and even sewing!)
Strawberry Balsamic Bundt Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 sticks butter, softened
- 1 C dark brown sugar
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste
- 3 C cake flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C buttermilk
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 C + 6 tbsp sugar, divided use
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 egg whites
- 3 sticks butter, softened
Ingredients for the garnish:
- 1 lb fresh strawberries, finely diced
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Ingredients for the drizzle:
- 1/2 C balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease a bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugars until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, and the vanilla, mixing until fully incorporated after each addition.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the mixer, alternating with the buttermilk. Pour batter into prepared bundt pan. Bake 60 minutes, until a cake tester comes out cleanly.
- For the frosting, put the chopped strawberries, 2 tbsp sugar, and balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are soft, 5-8 minutes. Let cool slightly before transferring to a blender to puree until smooth. Chill.
- Also for the frosting, whisk the egg whites and the remaining sugar in a large heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water. Whisk consistently until a thermometer measures 160 degrees F and the sugar is dissolved. Transfer to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and beat on medium-high speed for 8 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Reduce speed to medium and add in the softened butter 2 tbsp at a time, until fully incorporated, and frosting is thick and smooth (it will most likely curdle during the process, just keep going and keep trusting!). Add in the cooled strawberry puree until fully incorporated.
- Make the garnish: Stir together the diced strawberries, sugar, vinegar, and vanilla in a bowl. Let macerate 20-30 minutes.
- For the drizzle: Reduce the balsamic and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat down to 4 tbsp. Set aside.
*This recipe is adapted from Annie at http://www.annies-eats.com/2013/06/07/strawberry-balsamic-cupcakes/*
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have created this month:
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Poke Bundt by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice
Freeze Dried Strawberry Bundt with Cream Cheese Glaze by Sweet Sensations
Jam Strawberry Bundt Cake by Bizcocheando
Lemon Strawberry Poke Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Neapolitan Zebra Bundt Cake by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
Strawberry Balsamic Bundt Cake by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Strawberry & Cream Bundt Cake by Patty’s Cakes
Strawberry Crunch Bundt Cake by Cookaholic Wife
Strawberry Bundt Mousse Cake by Sneha’s Recipe
Strawberry Bundt Cake with White Chocolate Ganache by The Queen of Scones
Strawberries & Cream Naked Bundt Cake by Living the Gourmet
Strawberry Key Lime Cheesecake Bundt by The Crumby Kitchen
Strawberry Orange Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes