It’s that time of month for me to share a bundt cake with you alongside #BundtBakers. #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. This month Lauren of From Gate to Plate challenged our artistic side with the theme creative s’mores – seriously, how fun!?
The traditional s’more is a roasted marshmallow and a pip of chocolate bar sandwiched between two graham crackers. The possibilities to play around with or add to the classic sandwich are endless! Just check out the list of bundts that put a spin on this summer/fall favorite treat.
I decided to make a chocolate cake, substituting some of the flour with crushed chocolate graham crackers. For the marshmallow I used marshmallow creme and mixed in roasted strawberries. I decided to go with dark brown sugar instead of light brown sugar to add a subtle smokiness that can mirror that campfire feeling.
I swirled my marshmallow filling into the chocolate cake, but it completely disappeared (except for the roasted marshmallow coloring on the top/bottom). The roasted strawberry flavor definitely comes through and the extra filling I saved as a frosting.
I’m pleased to say my experimenting was a success. This cake is incredibly moist and rich in chocolate flavor. As usual, this cake came with me to game night on Monday and my husband was not too pleased. Before I left he tried breaking into the plastic wrap, even though I’d cut a generous slice for him already!
Chocolate Graham Cracker Bundt Cake with Roasted Strawberry Marshmallow Filling
Ingredients for filling:
- 18-20 strawberries, tops removed
- scant 1/4 C sugar
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 container (7 oz) marshmallow creme
Ingredients for cake:
- 9 chocolate graham crackers, finely crushed
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 C buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Make filling: Toss strawberries in sugar and vanilla extract. Place on foil lined baking sheet and roast for 25 minutes. Allow to cool. Place strawberries in a large bowl with the marshmallow creme and use a hand mixer to combine. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together chocolate graham cracker crumbs, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and both sugars. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- Alternate the dry ingredients and buttermilk, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour batter into a heavily greased bundt pan. Swirl in the marshmallow filling. (I had ~ 1/3 C of the filling left over to use as a topping.)
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. Allow cake to cool in the pan before removing.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Autumn Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
Caramel Apple S’mores Bundt by Taking on Magazines
Carrot Graham Mini Bundts with White Chocolate Chips and Marshmallow Glaze by Passion Kneaded
Chocolate Bundt with Marshmallow Graham Filling by Basic N Delicious
Cookie Crumble Peanut Butter S’more Bundt Cake by Baking in Pyjamas
Deconstructed S’more Bundt Cake by Cali’s Cuisine
Graham Cracker Bundt Cake S’mores by Magnolia Days
Graham Cracker Bundt with Chocolate Ganache and Toasted Marshmallow Frosting by Food Lust People Love
Graham Cracker Peanut Butter Bundt with Marshmallow Topping by Our Good Life
Inside Out S’mores Bundt Cake by Liv for Cake
Key Lime S’more Bundt Cake by Patty’s Cake
Mexican Chocolate S’more Bundt Cake by Tartacadabra
Nutella Glazed S’more Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
Nutella S’mores Bundt Cake by Brunch with Joy
Oreo Grasshopper S’more Bundt by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Pretzels Crown in a S’more Bundt Cake by Los Chatos Chefs
Pumpkin S’mores Bundt by Living the Gourmet
Pumpkin S’mores Bundt Cake by How to Philosophize with Cake
S’moreo Caramel Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
S’mores Bundt Cake by From Gate to Plate
S’mores Bundt Cake by La mejor manera de hacer
S’mores Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
S’mores Graham Cracker Bundt Cake by The Spiced Life
Salted Marshmallow and Graham Crack S’more Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love & Luck Survive Despite a Whiskered Accomplice