We’re just over a week away from Halloween (not that you’d know it from all the Christmas paraphernalia in the stores already) and that means it’s time for my week long theme!
Halloween isn’t my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving wins that honor), but when it comes to blogging I look forward to my themed week the most.
It will be hard to beat the Harry Potter theme last year, but what I’ve got in store for you this week is simply too cute to resist!
I’ve been contemplating this mummy theme for a few years now, honestly, and I’m excited to finally be bringing it to you!
We’re going to start with caramel apples, which get the adorable mummy treatment.
Caramel apples have never been my go-to treat, but after a recent trip to Disneyland, I’m now hooked!
While walking around main street to find a place to watch the parade, I caught a glimpse of a caramel apple in a shop window. I immediately decided I needed one – I was craving something sweet yet fresh and I thought a bright Granny Smith apple coated in caramel would do the trick. It did take a while before I finally found that apple – in the Winnie-the-Pooh part of the park making it that much better!
I made 6 caramel apples for this blog post and I have no shame in saying that I personally ate 5 of them! My afternoon apple and Nutella snack simply got replaced with a mummy caramel apple. And it was glorious, and might just have ruined regular apples forever. Firecracker took all the slices with eye candies.
Mummy Caramel Apples
- 6 Granny Smith apples
- 6 popsicle sticks, skewers, or cocktail stirrers
- 14 oz caramel squares, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- white candy melts
- 12 candy eyes
- Thoroughly wash and dry the apples and remove the stem. Carefully push the popsicle sticks into the stem of the apples.
- In a microwaveable bowl, combine the caramels and the cream. Microwave 1-2 minutes, until caramels are melted, stirring every 20 seconds.
- Dip the apples into the melted caramel, working quickly and carefully. Place coated apples on a parchment lined tray and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours.
- Melt the candy melts according to package instructions. Use a spoon to drizzle the candy over the caramel apples, to create a mummy. Dip two candy eyes into the candy melt and stick to the apple. Repeat for all 6 apples and return to the refrigerator to set.