Over Labor Day weekend we traveled to Northern California, Santa Cruz to be exact, to celebrate my cousin’s wedding.
The wedding was one we will never forget. They got married standing underneath exquisite Redwoods with the sun peaking through the massive trees.
To reach the ceremony site, we hopped aboard a narrow gauge train and traveled uphill for about 25 minutes. Following the beautiful exchange of vows we climbed back on the train to return to the reception location. The entire experience was simply breathtaking.
To say my train obsessed toddler was in heaven is an understatement!
We spent the long weekend in Santa Cruz with my parents and uncle at a vacation rental home on the water. We enjoyed exploring the area and discovering the differences between that beach city and the one we’re living in now.
Because we staying in a “hotel house,” as we described it to my toddler, I had the luxury of being able to cook! I made Chicken Chorizo Meatballs (a variation of this recipe) for the rehearsal party at my aunt’s “hotel house,” a beautiful cheese platter for dinner one night, and coffee smoothies to accompany some local pastries for breakfast one morning!
I was counting on making my recipe for this week’s Sunday Supper over the wedding weekend so I packed my chocolate chips and chocolate sauce. Doesn’t everyone travel with chocolate chips in tow?!
Thankfully the vacation home had a blender! I hadn’t considered that I may not have one before hitting the grocery store to pick up yogurt and whipped cream.
This smoothie was met with mixed reviews. My dad was not a fan, but sweet coffee drinks are not his thing. My uncle and I enjoyed our glasses, though. That being said, I have some suggestions for changes I’d make next time:
- The tang from Greek yogurt was a little too much to pair with the coffee, so I’d switch to regular yogurt (or you know, ice cream but then we can’t call it breakfast can we?)
- To balance out the sweetness level, I’d add a touch of vanilla extract
Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie
- 1 1/2 C ice
- 3/4 C vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3/4 C cooled coffee
- 1/4 C chocolate chips
- 1/4 C chocolate syrup
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Garnish, if desired, with whipped cream and extra chocolate syrup.
*This recipe is adapted from Jacqui at http://www.dishingdelish.com/chocolate-chip-mocha-breakfast-smoothie/*
- Bulletproof Coffee My Way by Monica’s Table
- Caramel Turtle Mocha Frappe by The Weekend Gourmet
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Smoothie by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Latte by Meal Planning Magic
- Apple Crumb Coffee Cake by Dessert Geek
- Banana Blueberry Streusel Coffee Cake by The Freshman Cook
- Cappuccino Overnight Oats by Pies and Plots
- Cardamom-Crumb Coffee Cake by Wholistic Woman
- Cinnamon Coffee Cake (Kaffee Kuchen) by Palatable Pastime
- Coconut & Coffee Gluten Free Scones by Caroline’s Cooking
- Coffee and Cream Cinnamon Buns by Cooking With Carlee
- Maple-Coffee Breakfast Sausage by Cricket’s Confections
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Breakfast Bites by Beauty and the Beets
- Whole Wheat Pecan Crumb Cake by Family Around The Table
- Coffee and Garlic Rubbed Pork Chops by Casa de Crews
- Java Dry Spice Rub Chops by Sunday Supper Movement
- Salmon-Mandarin Salad with Asian Vinaigrette & Coffee Dressing by Asian In America
- Sticky Coffee Chicken by Food Lust People Love
- Dark Molasses Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Homemade Coffee Baked Beans by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Best Coffee Frosting by My World Simplified
- Bittersweet Cremeux with Coffee Caramel and Bourbon Cream by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Chocolate Chip Mocha Brownies by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Coffee Nut Bark by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Coffee Toffee Crunch Cookies by Family Foodie
- Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream Pie by Moore or Less Cooking
- Cold Brew Affogato by Helpful Homemade
- Dark Chocolate Espresso Torte with Strawberry Coulis by Gourmet Everyday
- Eiskaffee (German Coffee with Ice Cream) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Espresso Brownie Cupcake Sundaes by A Mind Full Mom
- Mocha Cake with Mocha Rum Icing by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Mocha Layer Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mocha Panna Cotta with Mascarpone Cream by The Crumby Cupcake
- NCR Cookies by Girl Abroad
- No Bake Mocha Cheesecake by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Polish Black Cake with Whipped Mocha frosting by Hardly A Goddess
- Sweet Cream Affogato by The Redhead Baker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out ourPinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
17 thoughts on “#SundaySupper: Recipes with Coffee”
I’ll add ice cream and drink it for “brunch.” Such a yummy smoothie!! P.S. Great family photos 🙂