It’s Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! In the Secret Recipe Club, each participating blogger is assigned a blog from another participating blogger and secretly searches their site for something to recreate. The accompanying blog post then goes live on reveal day! So while I was immersed in my assigned blog, someone else was picking through mine! I’m so excited to be part of this group, to see what on my blog peaks other’s interests and to stumble upon new blogs and new recipes.
This month I was assigned Where Is My Spoon? written by Adina. Adina has an incredibly magnificent entrance into the culinary world, at least in my opinion! When she moved to Germany with her husband she didn’t cook because she “couldn’t even boil an egg.” In all honesty though, boiling an egg isn’t necessarily the easiest thing to do if you’re easily distracted… She learned to cook by reading through a cookbook in a new language! I mean, how impressive is that?!
When I received my assignment in my email I forced myself to decide on a savory dish. I felt like I was drowning in a wonderful world of sugar and needed to grab a life vest. I was beginning to regret my decision when I found Carrot Cupcakes with Blueberry Frosting and White Chocolate Apricot Cheesecake. If I hadn’t done Nectarine Caprese Salad last month for SRC I would have definitely gone with her Strawberry, Nectarine, and Quinoa Salad.
Ultimately, I decided to pick a dish that was fresh and light, Lime Crusted Salmon. Adina served it with sweet potatoes and peas. I decided to go with it! I hadn’t had peas in a long time and it reminded me of how much I enjoy the sweet veggie. Turns out I learned that my husband and 10 month old like them, too! Growing up, my favorite way to eat them were atop mashed potatoes. Turns out they complement sweet potatoes, too. A big thank you for introducing me to a new weeknight favorite!
Lime Crusted Salmon
- 2/3 lb salmon filet
- 1 1/2 tbsp butter, softened
- 2 tbsp panko
- 1 lime, zested and sliced into wedges
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease a baking dish.
- Combine butter, panko, lime zest, and S+P. Spread over fish.
- Place salmon in the baking dish and surround with lime wedges. Bake 12-15 minutes, or until the fish is flaked easily with a fork.
Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 tbsp butter
- Place potatoes in a medium pot. Cover with water and season generously with salt. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are fork tender. Drain.
- Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes with the butter. Season to taste with S+P.
Peas with Mint
- 1/2 10 oz bag frozen peas
- 1/2 tbsp butter
- chopped mint, to taste
- Cook peas according to package directions, or as desired.
- Toss with butter, mint, and S+P to taste.
*These recipes are modified from Adina at http://www.whereismyspoon.co/salmon-with-lime-crust/*
To see the other bloggers who participated in The Secret Recipe Club this month click here: