#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins to brighten their Mondays. There isn’t a theme to #MuffinMonday posts so anything goes, as long as it’s a muffin!
About a month and a half ago I finally had the opportunity to discover first hand the beauty that is the blood orange. I’ve known of them but had never found them anywhere. And then one of the farmers markets had them and I grabbed a fair few. Most of them I simply indulged in my new favorite thing to do: cut open a blood orange and snap a photo of it (see Instagram) then squeeze the juice out of it and have a fresh glass. As blood oranges can vary in color from orange to dark red I had a blast being surprised by each slice of the knife. I came to the conclusion that the darker the fruit, the sweeter its juice.
When I made these muffins I “wasted” the darker oranges on the juice that went into the batter. The ones I’d saved for the photographs looked like your boring, everyday run-of-the-mill orange. Go figure. The pigment of your orange will actually affect the final color of your muffin.
This recipe makes 1 dozen muffins.
Chocolate Chip Blood Orange Muffins
- 1 3/4 C flour
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- zest of 3 blood oranges
- 3/4 C chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 C fresh blood orange juice (3-4 oranges)
- 1 stick butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and orange zest. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- In another bowl whisk together the eggs, juice, butter, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Divide batter among prepared muffin tin.
- Bake 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out cleanly. Allow muffins to cool in the pan 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
*This recipe is adapted from Tara at http://tarasmulticulturaltable.com/blood-orange-chocolate-chip-muffins/*
And don’t forget to check out these other muffin recipes:
Banana Bread and Chocolate Muffins from Making Miracles
Grilled Cherry Muffins from Farm Fresh Feasts
Jamaican Me Hungry Muffins from A Day in the Life on the Farm
Margarita Sour Cream Muffins from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Pancake Muffins from Passion Kneaded
Sweet Corn Muffins from Food Lust People Love