I am so excited to be back blogging with the Sunday Supper Movement. My last post was the Regional Specialties themed day – OVER TWO MONTHS AGO! I have definitely missed being able to share the table with this great group of foodies.
As soon as the theme was revealed for today’s event, you know I couldn’t miss out on this one. Waffles! If you know me but at all you’d probably have reported a missing person had I not chimed in today. Thanks, Sue from A Palatable Pastime, for hosting today’s event at a time in my life when I could finally participate in #SundaySupper. I know you did it just for me and not because National Waffle Iron Day is Wednesday. 😉 Be sure to scroll past my recipe for a collection of over 35 waffles recipes.
Having made just a few waffles in my day, I decided to throw caution to the wind and make my own waffle. I did it “by feel” and needed to adjust my flour amount before I was comfortable with the batter. I’m happy to report that my waffles worked out, and my creative flavor combination wasn’t a failure.
I love pairing cherries with chocolate, so those hand picked cherries of ours found their way into my waffles. As sometimes the only way to get Firecracker to eat is by way of waffle or pancake, I knew I had to throw something nutritious in there. That’s where the beets come in. I was going to roast them and toss them in a smoothie, but this way was easier.
Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles
- 1 1/4 C flour
- 3/4 C whole wheat flour
- 1/4 C cocoa powder
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 2 C milk
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 C shredded beets, patted dry
- 2 C fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- whipped cream for serving (optional)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Fold in the beets and cherries.
- Into a hot greased waffle iron, drop 1/3 C of batter and cook until browned. Serve with whipped cream.
Sweet and Sinful:
- Banana Split Waffle Cake by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Blueberry Buttermilk Waffles by Alida’s Kitchen
- Boston Cream Pie Waffles by Crazed Mom
- Chocolate Cherry Beet Waffles by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Chocolate Chip Waffle Ice Cream Sandwiches by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Chocolate Pizelles – The Italian Waffle by GirlAbroad
- Churro Waffles by The Redhead Baker
- Coconut Waffles by Omnivore’s Cookbook
- Dark Chocolate Waffles with Cherry Syrup by The Chef Next Door
- Easy Peasy Blueberry Sauce for Waffles by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Fluffernutter Waffles by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Irish Cream Waffles with Whiskey Strawberries by Tramplingrose
- Japanese Green Tea Matcha Cream Topped Vegan Waffles by NinjaBaker
- Maple Bacon Waffle Ice Cream Cake by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake Waffles by Cookin’ Mimi
- Red, White and Blueberry Sourdough Waffles by Cooking With Carlee
- S’Mores Waffles by The Freshman Cook
- Spiced Banana Nut Waffles by Magnolia Days
- Strawberry Shortcake Waffles with Cinnamon Whipped Cream by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Strawberry Waffle Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Waffle Kebobs with Maple Yogurt Dipping Sauce by A Mind Full Mom
- Yeasted Waffles with Peach Syrup by Pies and Plots
Savory Brinner Winners:
- Asiago Waffle Egg Sandwiches by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Bacon Cheeseburger Waffles (Low Carb) by My Life Cookbook
- Bacon Waffles by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Biscuit Waffle Breakfast Stacks by The Weekend Gourmet
- Bleu Pig Potato Waffles by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Breakfast Poutine Waffles by She Loves Biscotti
- Cheesy Bacon Waffles with Spicy Ketchup by Momma’s Meals
- Cheesy Polenta Waffles by Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Cheesy Spinach Waffles with Ham by Wholistic Woman
- Chicken & Waffles by Family Around the Table
- Corn Waffles Nachos-Style by Caroline’s Cooking
- Croque Monsieur Waffles by Un Assaggio of Food, Wine & Marriage
- Eggs Benedict Cauliflower Waffles by Life Tastes Good
- Korean Fried Chicken and Ramen Waffles by kimchi MOM
- Loaded Gluten Free Cornbread Waffles by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Luau Egg Benedict Waffle by Brunch-n-Bites
- Mexican Cornbread Waffles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Monte Cristo Waffle Sandwich by Palatable Pastime
- Pulled Pork Waffle Tacos by The Crumby Cupcake
- Pumpkin Cornbread Waffles with BBQ Chicken Thighs by Our Good Life
- Scallion Waffles by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sweet and Spicy Pecan Shredded Beef Waffles by Family Foodie
- Waffled Falafel Sandwiches by Food Lust People Love
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement
16 thoughts on “#SundaySupper: Waffles!”
Looks like you are indeed an experienced waffle connoisseur. Your creative combo of cocoa, cherries and beets is brilliant…and nutritious!
Welcome back, Lauren! What a fun twist on waffles!!! I’m loving the addition of fresh cherries!
Thank you! 🙂
Beyond creative! Did you know I only had waffles once in my entire life? And not too long ago… (I know, I am a mutant of sorts)
love that you went into a daring path and added beets! A wonderful twist…
I did know that! 😀
So happy you were able to join us and share this creative recipe! I never would have thought to put beets in waffles. Thanks for sharing!
Love the color! I’m a beet lover so I’m in!
We like them too!
Those look so delicious and the flavor combo sounds outstanding!
I’m so intrigued by this flavor combination. It sounds amazing and super good for you too!
It’s all about balancing the sweet and earthy.
As a lover of all things beets …I immediately feel in love with this recipe. Can’t wait to try it! Thanks for sharing 🙂
I hope you like it!