It’s that time of month for me to share a bundt cake with you alongside #BundtBakers. #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. This month Olivia of Liv for Cake picked a festive theme of “Naughty or Nice” that allowed our imaginations and personalities to shine through our baking.
The weekend before Thanksgiving my best friend here in Ohio invited us over for a Thanksgiving potluck. I was going to bring my creamed onions but I knew the menu was lacking on the sweets side. I accepted the request and used it as the perfect opportunity to share a bundt cake!
My cake today falls under the “nice” category and fits a festive theme. It is studded with both dried and fresh cranberries and has lots of warming spices flowing through it. I even broke out my newest bundt pan and practiced patience in decorating by piping an orange buttercream frosting along the stained glass design.
If you’ve ever baked a bundt cake, then you’re probably familiar with the fact as the cake bakes and rises a dome appears in the middle of the exposed surface – aka the bottom of the cake. There’s a debate as to whether or not it’s best to level out the bottom by cutting it off or not. I usually don’t because my cakes are stored on a plate instead of a cake platter, so that extra “lift” from the dome makes it look perfectly flush with the edges of the plate. For this cake though, I had to make an exception. I needed to try this cake before bringing it to the Thanksgiving potluck and I couldn’t show up with a beautiful one-piece-missing cake! (We had bites of cake bottom for breakfast.)
Cranberry Spice Bundt Cake
Ingredients for the cake:
- 2 stick butter, softened
- 1 C sugar
- 1 C brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C plain Greek yogurt
- 2 C flour
- 3/4 C almond meal
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C rough chopped fresh cranberries
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
Ingredients for the frosting:
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 3/4 – 1 C powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp orange extract
- milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Heavily grease bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time until incorporated. Add the vanilla extract and yogurt and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Add to the stand mixer and mix until combined.
- Fold in the cranberries and pour batter into prepared bundt pan.
- Bake 1 hour, or until a cake tester comes out cleanly. Allow cake to cool in the pan before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Make frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment beat butter. Add in powdered sugar and orange extract. Beat until combined. (If frosting doesn’t come together, add just a little bit of milk at a time until a smooth texture is reached.) Frost cake when completely cooled.
*The cake recipe is adapted from Dorie at http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/spiced-cranberry-bundt-cake*
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Amaretto Almond Bundt Cake by I Bake He Shoots
Angel Food Bundt Cake with Cranberry Filling and Lemon Glaze by Taking On Magazines
Anise Bundt Cake by I Love Bundt Cakes
Bundtcake Especiado by La mejor manera de hacer…
Candy Cane Bundt by Cali’s Cuisine
Cherry Chocolate Bundt Cake by Basic N Delicious
Chocolate Gingerbread Bundt Cake by How to Philosophize with Cake
Chocolate Gingerbread Bundts with Cream Cheese Frosting by I Camp In My Kitchen
Christmas Fruitcake by Tea and Scones
Christmas Rose Bundt Cake by Living the Gourmet
Eggnog Pound Cake by Palatable Pastime
Hot Buttered Rum Bundt by Food Lust People Love
Maple Pecan Cake by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
Naughty and Nice Kahlua Gingerbread Bundt Cake by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Old Fashioned Marble Cake Bundt by Brooklyn Homemaker
Peppermint Candy Cane Bundt Cake by The Freshman Cook
Rum & Eggnog Bundt Cake by Liv for Cake
Spiced Fruitcake by Magnolia Days
Spiced Ginger Bundt Cake with Caramel Brandy Sauce by All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
Spiced Rum Eggnog Bundt Cake by Making Miracles
Sugar, Spice, and Everything Nice Cake by Eat, Drink, Be Mighty
Super Naughty Chocolate Whiskey Bacon Jam Bundt Cake by Faith, Hope, Love, & Luck Survive Despite A Whiskered Accomplice
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.