Macaroni and Cheese is one of those comfort foods that everyone seems to have a soft spot for. I know it’s one of my guilty pleasures. I say that because I still (in my upper 2os) prefer the highly processed boxed macaroni to a homemade pasta. I think what I don’t care for is a baked casserole dish of mac and cheese. I don’t care for the extra cheese or breadcrumb crust on top and baked noodle dishes to me always seem dry.
But I do give a “fancy” mac and cheese a chance every now and then. And when one is a stove-top version of the comfort food I’m more inclined to give it a try. Especially when cream cheese is one of the ingredients!
And with sausage being a main ingredient I know that my husband would definitely approve. That makes this pasta a main dish and not a side.
Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
- 1/2 lb uncooked macaroni noodles
- 2 links Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1/4 C milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3/4 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 C shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/4 C cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large, high-sided skillet over medium-high heat cook the sausage, breaking it up.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the milk and flour. Add to the skillet and bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Reduce to a simmer and whisk in the cheeses, spices, and salt to taste. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Add cooked pasta to the skillet, coating it in the sauce.
*This recipe is adapted from Deborah at http://www.tasteandtellblog.com/cheesy-goodness/*