Waffles are in my top five favorite foods, so when I found out there was a blogging event completely surrounding waffles I just had to join in! Thank you to Kim of Feed Me, Seymour for allowing me to barge in!
I have six different waffle recipes on this blog, all of which appeal to the first meal of the day (not that that stops us from having waffles for dinner once a month!). I thought it would be fun to take this festive occasion to share a waffle intended for dinner (or lunch).
These hummus waffles are studded with Italian sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, and fresh basil. I was tempted to rename these waffles “pizza waffles” because that’s exactly what the flavor profile reminded us of! I did feel that that title would be slightly misleading as there isn’t any cheese in these waffles. I do think adding in some shredded mozzarella would be welcome to really take the pizza concept to the next level – and provide marinara for dipping!
I wasn’t really sure how to eat these waffles, but we still topped this savory creation with maple syrup (no butter, though). We loved the savory sweet combination, so give it a try!
I was skeptical on how my son would handle these waffles. He, like his mother, loves all breakfast foods, but I wasn’t sure if the texture of the add-ins would throw him off. The answer was not even a little bit! He ate an entire waffle on his own.
Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 1 C flour
- 1 C white whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C hummus
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sausage link, casings removed and fully cooked
- 1/4 C chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil (I used Gourmet Garden lightly dried basil)
- Preheat waffle iron and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk in the eggs and milk. Add in the hummus and olive oil, mixing until combined (it will be thick). Fold in the cooked sausage, sun-dried tomatoes, and basil.
- Drop 1/3 – 1/2 C of waffle batter onto the prepared waffle iron and cook until golden.
*This recipe is modified from Gina at http://www.runningtothekitchen.com/savory-hummus-waffles/*
And keep that waffle iron hot for these other great recipes:
- Cheese & Pear Waffle Appetizer by The Freshman Cook
- Waffled Polenta Crisps with Caponata by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Buckwheat Waffles Benedict by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Coconut Flour Waffles with Macadamia Nuts and Spiced Pineapple Syrup by Aloha Flavor
- Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Chocolate Pecan Waffles by Rhubarb and Honey
- Orange and Dark Chocolate Waffles by Cookie Monster Cooking
- Peanut Butter & Jelly Stuffed French Toast Waffles by The Spiffy Cookie
- Potato Waffle Eggs Florentine by Eats Well With Others
- Pumpkin Waffle Sandwiches with Apple Butter and Melted Brie by Go Go Go Gourmet
- Brown Sugar Chicken and Waffles by GirlCarnivore
- Cauliflower Cheese Waffles by Food Lust People Love
- Chicken and Spiced Sweet Potato Waffles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Mac and Cheese Waffles with Honey Bunches Chicken by Baking In A Tornado
- Sweet & Savoury Sausage & Apple Waffles by Fuchsia Freezer
- Sweet Potato Waffles with Horseradish Sauce by Our Good Life
- Apple Pie Waffles by Spiced
- Banana Split Waffles by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Homemade Waffle Cones by Eva Bakes
- Neapolitan Waffles by Dinner at the Zoo
- Pumpkin Pecan Waffles by Feed Me, Seymour
- Pumpkin Pie Waffle Cake by Cookie Dough and Oven Mitt
- Red Velvet Waffles with Bourbon Cherry Syrup & Cream Cheese Drizzle by Cooking In Stilettos
- Toasted Coconut Belgian Waffles by The Chef Next Door
18 thoughts on “#WaffleWeek2015: Hummus Waffles with Sausage and Sun-Dried Tomatoes”
Thank YOU for “barging in” with this recipe. Hummus waffles is basically the most unique and flavorful thing I can think of! I am in love. For real.
Haha, thank you, Kim! 🙂
oooohhhhh yeah…..add cheese to the batter and top with marinara instead of syrup……Genius!!
It would be delicious I have no doubt
Now that you put the pizza idea in my head, I’m going to have to try these both as you posted them and with the addition of cheese and served with marinara.
I’m so happy to have been involved in this project with so many talented bloggers.
I hope you like them. And let me know how it goes! 🙂
What an interesting idea for a waffle! I love hummus, but would never have thought to do this with it … and I wish I had ‘cuz these sound delicious!
Such a great and tasty idea! These sound great!
Hummus in waffles? My mind continues to be blown with every waffle recipe.
They’re such a blank canvas!
A whole breakfast in every bite!
Ooooo why have I never put hummus in waffles before??? These sound fantastic!
It’s pretty fun!
Wow, what a fun idea to mix hummus into the waffle batter! These waffles look amazing. Breakfast, lunch AND dinner I say! 🙂