Before you get all wrapped up in the pumpkin craze, let’s not forget about the other great fall fruits, like apples and pears! Yes, pumpkin is technically a fruit, and I have no doubt that some of the CLUE players will be sharing pumpkin recipe. Be sure to stop by their pages, too!
This month I was assigned the blog That Skinny Chick Can Bake written by Liz. Liz helps keep our group organized and is a member of a few other blogging groups I’m also a part of. I’m not sure how she keeps up with everything! Her blog is a beautiful array of sweets (with some great savory options, too).
I was tempted by a couple of her fall salads (Spinach Salad with Pears and Cranberries or Apple Cherry Walnut Salad) but hey, “That Skinny Chick Can Bake” so I settled on a baked item. I altered her Sour Cream Pear Bread to utilize what I had in my fridge – Greek Yogurt and Apples.
Greek Yogurt Apple Loaf
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 2/3 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 3/4 C cake flour
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 C peeled and diced apples
- cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the butter and sugar until combined. Add the eggs one at a time. Mix in the vanilla extract and yogurt (or sour cream).
- In a large bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of salt. Add to the stand mixer in 2-3 installments.
- Fold in diced apples (or pears). Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out cleanly. Allow loaf to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan onto a cooling rack.
- This loaf is best served warm/toasted with a little butter.
Here’s a list of the other players of Blogger CLUE this month:
- Apple and Pear Compote by Alice from A Mama, Baby & Shar-pei in the Kitchen
- Apple Banana Bread by Lora from Cake Duchess
- Apple Brie Panini by Rebekah from Making Miracles
- Apple Butter by Stacy from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Oatmeal Muffins by Aly from Cooking in Stilettos
- Apple Pie with Oat Streusel by Christiane at Taking on Magazines
- Applesauce Pancakes by Anna at AnnaDishes
- Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad by Kate from Kate’s Kitchen
- Butternut Squash Soup with Apple by Lea Ann from Cooking on the Ranch
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Liz from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal by Kim from Liv Life
- Creamy Tomato Soup by Kelli from Kelli’s Kitchen
- Fresh Peach Buckle by Sue from A Palatable Pastime
- Fried Apple Hand Pies by Heather from girlichef
- Greek Yogurt Apple Loaf by Lauren from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Peach Streusel Bread by Azmina from Lawyer Loves Lunch
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Pie by Wendy from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Molasses Tea Bread by Lisa from Authentic Suburban Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Apple Soup with Chipotle by Kathy from A Spoonful of Thyme
- Vegan Spiced Apple Crumb Muffins by Debra from Eliot’s Eats