I know it’s a little “late” to be sharing a slew of Mexican recipes but rarely does anyone ever eat Mexican food ONLY on Cinco de Mayo! Besides, it’s Mexican Monday!
On May 5th my friends and I had a Cinco de Mayo potluck. As can be expected, our fiesta theme brought everyone out of the wood-works and we had a great turnout and more importantly amazing food!
The day before the party my friend came over to help me make these Papel Picado Banners to put on the bar below the food. I think it really added some holiday flair to the place. And it was fun to be crafting something. Thankfully both of our babies napped at the same time and we were able to tackle this project quickly.
Here are most of the recipes from the night:
- Horchata: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/221318/horchata-made-easy/
- Taco Fiesta Dip: 16 oz cream cheese, 1/2 C mayo, 4 tbsp taco seasoning, 2 bell peppers (diced), 14.5 oz can corn (drained), 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed), 3/4 C salsa, 1 bunch scallions (diced)
- Avocado and Black Bean Salsa: 4 avocados (diced), 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed), 6 oz can black olives (drained), 2 C corn, 1/2 bunch cilantro (chopped), 1/3 C EVOO, 1/4 C lemon juice, 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 clove garlic (minced), S+P
- Salsa: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/01/restaurant-style-salsa/
- Spicy Black Bean and Corn Salsa: 15 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed), 2 C corn, 1/2 C chopped cilantro, 1/4 C chopped scallions, 1/4 C diced red onion, 1/3 C lime juice, 3 tbsp vegetable oil, 1 tbsp cumin, S+P – chill. Add 1/2 C chopped tomatoes before serving.
- Mango Guacamole: 3 avocados (mashed), juice of 2-3 limes, 1/4 C minced cilantro, 2 tbsp minced red onion, 1 clove garlic (minced), 1 mango (diced), 1 habanero pepper (seeds removed and diced), 1/4 bell pepper (diced)
- Zucchini and Roasted Corn Salad: http://thehousewifeintrainingfiles.com/roasted-corn-salad/
- Chicken Chilaquiles: http://www.aprettylifeinthesuburbs.com/easy-chicken-chilaquiles/
- Baby Baked Beef Burritos: https://sewyoucancook.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/baby-baked-beef-burritos/
- Chicken Empanadas: http://momspark.net/shortcut-chicken-and-green-chilies-empanadas-recipe/
- Tres Leches Cake: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/09/tres-leches-cake/
- Strawberry Cheesecake Chimichangas: http://www.justataste.com/2013/06/strawberry-cheesecake-dessert-chimichangas-recipe/
I brought my baby baked beef burritos to the party, which ended up being a perfect potluck food. I doubled the recipe, accidentally quadrupling the amount of black beans, to yield 33 burritos. (I left 3 of them for Stuart) I was able to make the beef mixture while the little man was taking a nap and while he was playing happily at my feet with the tupperware cabinet I rolled up the burritos. I then baked them in two batches (because my oven is small) right before leaving the house. I put foil between each layer of burritos to keep them warm. (I felt like a caterer!) Stuart had to stay at work late that night so I brought my son to the party until he could be picked up. I let him try all of the food off my plate and he ended up eating the filling of three burritos! (I took 8 of them home with me when the party was over and we both enjoyed them for lunch the next day, too.)
Next month we’ll celebrate summer with a BBQ themed potluck!