Today is another Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! In the secret recipe club, each participating blogger is assigned a blog from another participating blogger and secretly searches their site for something to recreate. The accompanying blog post then goes live on reveal day! So while I was immersed in my assigned blog, someone else was picking through mine! I’m so excited to be part of this group, to see what on my blog peaks other’s interests and to stumble upon new blogs and new recipes.
This month I was assigned the blog Food Baby Life written by Susan. Susan blogs all the way from Australia! (No wonder I stumbled upon ingredients I’d never heard of!) Susan has three boys who are growing up in a happy home with some healthy food. Susan has decided to cut most processed foods out of their diet and opts to make as much as she can from scratch and uses alternative sweeteners in place of sugar.
I have to say, I found and made my recipe for today’s reveal within the week of being assigned Susan’s blog. I don’t think I’ve every accomplished a task so quickly. Trust me, with a very busy almost 10-month-old son who is on the move, very curious, and highly interested in eating paper, I’ve been feeling very “scrambled” when it comes to my blog. I’m always frantically typing up posts, replying to comments, and visiting blogs during his short naps. And most nights I find myself crawling into bed after he falls asleep (he has a late “bedtime”).
I ultimately went with a hearty meatless meal which I served on Good Friday. Stuart and I really like gnocchi but very rarely eat it. I am always a sucker for a creamy sauce. And sweet potato is a favorite of not only my husband, but my little man, too. Mushrooms aren’t my favorite and I tend to pick around them, but my brother was in town for the Easter holiday and he and Stuart enjoy them. (Recent discovery indicates that my son also likes mushrooms.) I figured I couldn’t go wrong with this dish although I had an inkling that I’d be wanting bacon in it. Fun fact: it doesn’t need the bacon, although I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt.
This recipe makes 6 servings and can easily be halved if desired.
Gnocchi with Sweet Potato in Garlic Cream Sauce
- 1 large sweet potato, cut into bite sized cubes
- ~1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 pkgs (16 oz) gnocchi
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 pkg (8 oz) mushrooms, chopped
- 1 3/4 C heavy cream
- 1/2 C shredded Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Toss sweet potato in olive oil, season with S+P. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large, high-sided skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Saute onions, garlic, and mushrooms until onions are translucent and mushrooms browned. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and season to taste with S+P.
- Cook gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and add to the sauce along with Parmesan and sweet potatoes.
- Serve with extra Parmesan cheese, if desired.
*This recipe is adapted from Susan at http://www.foodbabylife.com/2012/03/meatless-monday-gnocchi-with-roasted.html*
To see the other bloggers who participated in the Secret Recipe Club this month click here: