Friends of ours from Florida moved up here to Ohio the summer before last. (Their going away party then was actually one of my first blog posts – my blueberry bars! It’s still my most popular recipe.) Well, they’re now leaving us again.
I’m really bummed about their move this time because they have a beautiful baby boy who is only one day older than my little man. I was hoping to have more than only a few months worth of play dates with these two. I loved having someone I could easily relate to locally as well. But, that’s what phones are for!
We had them over for dinner before they left and they happily experimented a new Stir Fry Day Friday recipe with us. I suggested a couple recipes and this one won the vote. It was a huge it! She took the recipe home with her (of course, she can also catch it here!).
I promise you this stir fry has much more flavor than it looks. I was so bummed when I realized how bland this dish appeared to be. My tastebuds happily disagreed with my eyes, and we will be making it again.
The honey balanced the Sriracha very well and this dish wasn’t very spicy. If you want some more heat I suggest adding a little more Sriracha to the sauce or tossing in some red pepper flakes. But this gentle back note of heat is perfect for every palate. You can always put the Sriracha bottle on the table for those wanting more pizzazz.
Since we both have kiddos who are just now starting to experiment with solid foods, I’d like to add the disclaimer that this dish is not one that’s safe for infants. Once they really are eating off our plates forgo the honey and try using maple syrup, agave, or maybe even brown sugar instead.
Honey Sriracha Chicken Stir Fry
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 tbsp white distilled vinegar
- 1 tbsp sherry cooking wine
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, sliced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 head green cabbage, chopped
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 C chicken broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- In a small bowl whisk together the honey, vinegar, sherry, Sriracha, and salt. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Remove and set aside.
- In the same skillet, stir fry the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds. Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Stir in the sauce from step 1. Cover and cook 2 minutes, until cabbage is wilted.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and chicken broth. Add it to the skillet. Bring to a simmer and return the chicken to the pan. Cook another 3 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Garnish with chopped scallions and serve with rice.
*This recipe is adapted from Katie at http://www.healthyseasonalrecipes.com/honey-sriracha-chicken-cashew-stir-fry/*