Happy New Year, Foodie Fans! To kick off the year, this January we’re having an oatmeal extravaganza! If your New Year’s resolution is eat healthier, adding oats to your diet should be part of your plan. Or better yet, add a real breakfast to your morning routine.
I made oatmeal pancakes for you. These pancakes are very filling and could make for a satisfying breakfast or a fun late night snack. (We had them as breakfast for dinner.) I served these two ways – as breakfast and as dessert. For the breakfast version I topped the pancakes with apples, raisins, and syrup. For the dessert version I topped the pancakes with whipped cream and chocolate chips.
I’m not sure where my recipe fits into a healthy lifestyle but I’m sure some of my blogging friends have something for you so be sure to check out the list at the end of this post. Our host this month is Lauren of From Gate to Plate.
- 1 C flour
- 1 C old fashioned oats
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C sour cream
- 3/4 C milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 C melted butter
- toppings: apple, raisins, nuts, chocolate chips, syrup (optional)
- Preheat griddle to 350 degrees F. Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray or melted butter. Note: If you don’t have a griddle use a large skillet over medium high heat.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, vanilla, and melted butter. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. (This is a thick batter.)
- Drop 1/3 C of batter onto griddle. Cook 3 minutes on each side, or until golden. Serve with desired toppings.
*This recipe is adapted from Emily at http://itbakesmehappy.com/2014/11/oatmeal-cookie-pancakes.html*
Be sure to check out these other oatmeal recipes. We have a diverse list this month! There’s also a give-away happening so keep scrolling.
The oat-guru Kathy Hester has been so generous in donating one of her books to one of our lucky Foodie Extravaganza readers. With her book OATrageous Oatmeals: Delicious & Surprising Plant-Based Dishes From This Humble, Heart-Healthy Grain, you will learn how to use heart-healthy oatmeal in new and exciting ways! You can find recipes such as Veggie Oat Taco Mince, Gluten-free Lemon Blueberry Belgian Waffles, and Blackberry Mojito Overnight Oats.
Use the link below for the rafflecopter to enter the giveaway:
Terms & Conditions: This giveaway is open to residents of the United States and Canada only, age 18 and older. The OATragous Oatmeals Cookbook giveaway runs from Wednesday, January 7, 2015 12:00am ET through Thursday, January 15, 2015 12:00am ET. Winners will be randomly chosen and announced on January 16, 2015. Winners will also be contacted by email and will have 24 hours to respond to the email. If a winner does not respond in that time a new winner will be chosen. For more information, see the full terms and conditions in the Rafflecopter widget.
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links.