This month #BundtBakers is welcoming Fall with some beautiful bundts. #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. This month’s theme is Autumn Harvest and our creative host is Tux of Brooklyn Homemaker.
Our theme allowed for a lot of posibilities – from apples and pears, to pumpkins and carrots, to cranberries and figs.
My very first #BundtBakers recipe, my Busia’s Fresh Apple Cake, would have been a perfect fit here. I did stick with apple but added dried cranberries too! I’ve been wanting to try baking with applesauce and this recipe allowed me to do just that. Busia’s sister-in-law even thought I had used her recipe! The addition of the dried cranberries gave it a freshness and tart bite.
Dad and I disagreed on whether or not this cake needed frosting. I found it to be perfect just as is – to me, it’s almost like a banana bread instead of a cake. I may or may not have had it for breakfast… I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think – to frost or not to frost?
Applesauce Cranberry Bundt
- 2 stick butter
- 2 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 4 C flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 1/2 C cinnamon applesauce
- 2 C dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and spices.
- Add in the flour and applesauce alternately, beginning and ending with the flour.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into bundt pan and bake 40 minutes. Increase oven temperature to 350 degrees F, gently cover with aluminum foil and bake another 20-25 minutes, or until a knife comes out cleanly.
*This recipe is adapted from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/applesauce-raisin-cake/*
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to email@example.com. All recipes and photographs can be found on our individual blogs, on our Pinterest board, and the #bundtbakers homepage.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month:
Carrot Bundt Cake with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Cassandra of Cassie’s Kitchen