#MuffinMonday is a group of muffin loving bakers who get together once a month to bake muffins to brighten their Mondays. There isn’t a theme to #MuffinMonday posts so anything goes, as long as it’s a muffin!
I am sharing with you this month a muffin I made way back in May after one of our weekly trips to the Farmers Market. I had picked up some blackberries from one of my favorite vendors for my husband. I am not the biggest blackberry lover mainly due to their texture. I didn’t think my husband would actually eat the entire carton of berries before they started to spoil so I decided to make muffins with about half of them. While assembling all of the baking supplies and getting my little helper situated, he started eating all of the berries! I knew I couldn’t use the fruit in the muffins, now; anything healthy my picky eater will willingly eat is all his! We had frozen blackberries for smoothie making, so I carried on with my muffin plan.
You’ll notice the recipe doesn’t call for any butter or oil, making them a little bit healthier than most breakfast treats I bake. I mean, there’s still sugar and syrup involved so it balances out, right? The downfall to not having butter or oil in the recipe means they’ll stick to muffin liners, so be sure to spray them as you would a non-lined muffin tin.
Firecracker really enjoyed these muffins. I’m pretty sure he had 3 in one day.
I froze half of the muffins and had a quick morning snack throughout the month, I simply popped them in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
This recipe makes 2 dozen muffins.
Apple Blackberry Muffins
- 3 C whole wheat flour
- 3 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1 large apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1 C milk
- 1/2 C Greek yogurt
- 1/2 C cinnamon applesauce
- 1/4 C maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 C blackberries, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Grease a muffin tin, even if using liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda. Add the apples and toss to coat until evenly distributed.
- In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar. Mix in the milk, yogurt, applesauce, syrup, and vanilla.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Gently fold in the blackberries. Fill muffin cups 3/4 of the way.
- Bake muffins for 5 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake another 15 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
*This recipe is adapted from Sally at http://sallysbakingaddiction.com/2013/10/14/sky-high-blackberry-apple-muffins/*
And don’t forget to check out these other muffin recipes:
Cappuccino Chip Muffins by Palatable Pastime
Cheesy Chile Corn Muffins (Gluten Free) by Farm Fresh Feasts
Cinnamon Swirled Muffins by Passion Kneaded
Fresh Peach Muffins by Karen’s Kitchen Stories
Lemon Meringue Muffins by Making Miracles
Phase 3 Muffins by A Day in the Life on the Farm
Raspberry Mini Muffins by Food Lust People Love