Today’s edition of Mexican Monday requires prep on Sunday, even though it’s a slow cooker dish! But that’s also what makes it perfect for your Monday, whether you follow my Mexican Monday Menu plan or not. The chicken needs to marinate over night, but in the morning all you have to do is drop it into the slow cooker – no chopping, no measuring!
I found this recipe on a Pinterest post of Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes. Although we don’t follow the Paleo diet trend in this house, I may have some readers who do. Or maybe I’ll get new readers from it! 😉 If you’re looking for new Paleo inspired recipes, check out Jason’s blog, Paleo Pot.
But because we don’t follow Paleo, I served this chicken with Rice and Beans!
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 5-6 lb whole chicken
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 whole lime
- juice of 2 limes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix together pepper, salt, cumin, cayenne, and chili powder.
- Dry chicken and rub spice mixture over entire chicken.
- Poke holes in the whole lime and rub with spice mixture. Place in chicken cavity.
- In a food processor (I actually used the single serve unit for my Ninja blender, a Magic Bullet would work great too!) combine lime juice, garlic, cilantro, and olive oil.
- Place chicken in a large resealable plastic bag with the marinade. Marinate over night.
- Put chicken, breast side up, in slow cooker with the marinade. Cook on LOW 5-6 hours.
*This recipe is modified from Jason at http://paleopot.com/2013/01/chili-cilantro-lime-chicken/*