It’s been way too long since my last salad post – and unfortunately that also indicates it’s been way too long since our last salad night! Stuart has been looking for healthier meals lately, and after eating this Southwestern Salad he was completely satisfied.
The dressing for the salad is made with Greek yogurt. If you’ve paid attention, or know me, you realize that I have a great dislike for Greek yogurt. But I do try and give it another chance every now and then. I was prepared to revert to bottled salad dressing, but I’m happy to state that I loved the creamy cilantro vinaigrette!
I added chicken to the salad so we’re getting 3 sources of protein: the Greek yogurt in the dressing, chicken, and black beans! I promise this is no rabbit food.
Protein Packed Southwestern Salad
Ingredients for the chicken:
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken tenders (you can also cut up 1 breast into strips)
- 3/4 tsp Adobo seasoning
- 1 tsp Ancho chili powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil, divided use
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1/2 C canned corn, drained
- 1/2 C canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 on-the-vine tomato, chopped and seeds removed
- 1 avocado, chopped
- crispy tortilla strips, for topping
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1/2 C Greek yogurt
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 C fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- In a small bowl combine adobo seasoning, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Season both sides of chicken with spice mixture (you will have some left over).
- In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook chicken 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked through.
- In a food processor combine all dressing ingredients.
- Assemble salad with lettuce, corn, beans, tomato, avocado, and chicken. Toss with as much dressing as you like. Top with tortilla strips.
*This recipe is adapted from Chung-Ah at http://damndelicious.net/2014/01/10/southwestern-chopped-salad-cilantro-lime-dressing/*