Mexican food isn’t necessarily known for being healthy, and I know my preference for turning Mexican Monday into Pasta Night doesn’t follow many diets, but it is possible to turn Mexican Monday into Healthy Night. Most taco recipes can be turned into taco salads, or in this instance, a lettuce wrap!
I was excited to find this recipe and Mountain Mama’s blog where she partakes in Taco Tuesday. I hope to find more Mexican Monday inspirations from her as I explore her page.
I absolutely loved this recipe – it was fresh, healthy, and crispy. I think it’s genius to take a store bought salsa and add more fresh flavors to it.
If you don’t like using fresh lettuce as your taco shell, you can substitute soft or hard shell tacos.
Turkey Tomatillo Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 C chicken stock
- 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/3 C fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 C tomatillo salsa
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- your favorite taco toppings, i.e. tomatoes, fresh onion, cheese, avocado
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil in medium-high heat. When hot add ground turkey and season with S+P. Brown turkey, breaking up with a wooden spoon. After 5 minutes stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- In a food processor combine onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salsa. Pulse until smooth. Add to the turkey. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and cook let simmer another 2 minutes.
- Tear off lettuce leaves, fill with turkey, and top with your favorite taco toppings.
*This recipe is adapted from Kelley at http://www.mountainmamacooks.com/2014/01/cilantro-lime-turkey-taco-lettuce-wraps/?subscribe=success#blog_subscription-4*