Without fail, if I send my husband to the grocery store, he will come home with items that weren’t on the list. Occasionally it’s a package of refrigerated cookie dough but more often than not it’s something “crazy” from the produce section. I’m constantly amazed by his exploratory nature when it comes to the culinary world, actually for all worlds really. I am definitely not as adventurous.
While tomatillos aren’t exactly crazy we’d never worked with them in our own kitchen before. I went that “safe” route and decided to utilize them in a salsa for Mexican Monday.
This salsa is spicy!! Way too spicy for my taste, but my husband loved it!
Spicy Tomatillo Salsa
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed, washed, and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, deseeded and chopped
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- handful fresh cilantro
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- agave, to taste
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until a desired consistency is reached. Adjust salt and agave to taste.
*This recipe is adapted from Amanda at http://www.thechunkychef.com/abuelos-copycat-tomatillo-lime-salsa/*
Mexican food isn’t necessarily known for being healthy, and I know my preference for turning Mexican Monday into Pasta Night doesn’t follow many diets, but it is possible to turn Mexican Monday into Healthy Night. Most taco recipes can be turned into taco salads, or in this instance, a lettuce wrap!
I was excited to find this recipe and Mountain Mama’s blog where she partakes in Taco Tuesday. I hope to find more Mexican Monday inspirations from her as I explore her page.
I absolutely loved this recipe – it was fresh, healthy, and crispy. I think it’s genius to take a store bought salsa and add more fresh flavors to it.
If you don’t like using fresh lettuce as your taco shell, you can substitute soft or hard shell tacos.
Turkey Tomatillo Lettuce Wraps
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 C chicken stock
- 1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1/3 C fresh cilantro
- juice of 2 limes
- 3/4 C tomatillo salsa
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- your favorite taco toppings, i.e. tomatoes, fresh onion, cheese, avocado
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat olive oil in medium-high heat. When hot add ground turkey and season with S+P. Brown turkey, breaking up with a wooden spoon. After 5 minutes stir in chili powder, cumin, and oregano.
- In a food processor combine onion, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, and salsa. Pulse until smooth. Add to the turkey. Cook another 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and cook let simmer another 2 minutes.
- Tear off lettuce leaves, fill with turkey, and top with your favorite taco toppings.
*This recipe is adapted from Kelley at http://www.mountainmamacooks.com/2014/01/cilantro-lime-turkey-taco-lettuce-wraps/?subscribe=success#blog_subscription-4*