This week I will be bringing you 4 different popcorn flavors. Perfect for your Super Bowl party!
I want to start with one that can kinda-sorta fall into my Mexican Monday theme.
This popcorn comes from Food Network Magazine’s January/February 2014 booklet of 50 Flavored Popcorns. Popcorn is tossed with corn chips, butter, and chili powder. Then quickly baked with cheese and scallions.
- canola oil, enough to coat bottom of pot
- 3/4 C popcorn kernels
- 3 C corn chips
- 6 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Put canola oil in pot along with 2-3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and stand by. Once you hear the kernels pop, add the 3/4 C of popcorn. Cover and cook over medium heat until popping slows. Gently shake the pop during the popping process so as not to burn the popcorn at the bottom. Remove from heat and remain covered until popping has ceased, unless you want to be pelted with popcorn. (If you have another method of popping popcorn, feel free to use it.)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In an extra large bowl toss together popped popcorn and corn chips. Toss with chili powder. Toss with melted butter.
- Place popcorn mix on a baking sheet in an even layer. Top with shredded cheese and scallions. Bake for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Season with salt to taste.