This week I will be bringing you 4 different popcorn flavors. Perfect for your Super Bowl party!
I want to start with one that can kinda-sorta fall into my Mexican Monday theme.
This popcorn comes from Food Network Magazine’s January/February 2014 booklet of 50 Flavored Popcorns. Popcorn is tossed with corn chips, butter, and chili powder. Then quickly baked with cheese and scallions.
- canola oil, enough to coat bottom of pot
- 3/4 C popcorn kernels
- 3 C corn chips
- 6 tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 C shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Put canola oil in pot along with 2-3 kernels of popcorn. Cover and stand by. Once you hear the kernels pop, add the 3/4 C of popcorn. Cover and cook over medium heat until popping slows. Gently shake the pop during the popping process so as not to burn the popcorn at the bottom. Remove from heat and remain covered until popping has ceased, unless you want to be pelted with popcorn. (If you have another method of popping popcorn, feel free to use it.)
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- In an extra large bowl toss together popped popcorn and corn chips. Toss with chili powder. Toss with melted butter.
- Place popcorn mix on a baking sheet in an even layer. Top with shredded cheese and scallions. Bake for 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Season with salt to taste.
Mexican Monday has been in need of a healthy make over. This recipe from Cooking Light is very simple, very quick and full of flavor. The chicken gets its smokey warmth from ancho chili powder and is accompanied by a bright, crunchy slaw.
On a side note, I picked up a package of organic free range chicken breasts for this dinner. They were considerably smaller than the chicken breasts I normally pick up – about half the size! These two breasts yielded 5 tacos. If I used the average antibiotic treated chicken I could have gotten 8 tacos. I am tempted to now pay a little more for organic chicken because the difference in taste was like night and day. I was surprised.
Healthy Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes, divided use
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 C packaged cole slaw
- 1/2 C sliced scallions
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- taco sized flour tortillas
- Season chicken with chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, S+P. In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat cook chicken in olive oil until cooked through.
- In a blender, puree sour cream, milk, avocado, zest and juice of 1 lime. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl toss together slaw, scallion, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, and canola oil. Season with salt to taste.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!
*This recipe is adapted from Maureen at http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ancho-chicken-tacos-50400000111963/*