Mexican Monday has been in need of a healthy make over. This recipe from Cooking Light is very simple, very quick and full of flavor. The chicken gets its smokey warmth from ancho chili powder and is accompanied by a bright, crunchy slaw.
On a side note, I picked up a package of organic free range chicken breasts for this dinner. They were considerably smaller than the chicken breasts I normally pick up – about half the size! These two breasts yielded 5 tacos. If I used the average antibiotic treated chicken I could have gotten 8 tacos. I am tempted to now pay a little more for organic chicken because the difference in taste was like night and day. I was surprised.
Healthy Chicken Tacos
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 3/4 tsp ancho chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- zest of 1 lime
- juice of 2 limes, divided use
- 1/4 C sour cream
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 C packaged cole slaw
- 1/2 C sliced scallions
- 1/4 C chopped cilantro
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- taco sized flour tortillas
- Season chicken with chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, S+P. In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat cook chicken in olive oil until cooked through.
- In a blender, puree sour cream, milk, avocado, zest and juice of 1 lime. Mix until smooth.
- In a large bowl toss together slaw, scallion, cilantro, juice of 1 lime, and canola oil. Season with salt to taste.
- Assemble tacos and enjoy!
*This recipe is adapted from Maureen at http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ancho-chicken-tacos-50400000111963/*