Okay so this dish isn’t technically Sichuan Orange Beef. But if you actually had Sichuan peppercorns then yours could be! I simply substituted freshly ground peppercorns instead of using my typical black pepper. So I guess I ate Orange Beef?
I have no idea if Sichuan peppercorns have a little extra heat to them or not, (You can tell I’ve really done my research on this one) Stuart added Crushed Red Pepper Flakes to his plate.
Sichuan Orange Beef
- 1/2 lb brown rice pad thai noodles
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- zest and juice of one orange
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 lb steak
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced diagonally, whites and greens separated
- Whisk together soy sauce, corn starch, sugar, ginger, sesame oil, orange, and pepper. Slice steak and marinade in soy sauce mixture.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook noodles.
- Sear beef in vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add carrots and white parts of scallions. Pour in the marinade. Simmer for two minutes, stirring. Add in the green parts of the scallions and toss with the cooked noodles.
*This recipe is adapted from Kimberly at http://www.daringgourmet.com/2013/06/05/sichuan-orange-beef/*