In an effort to keep a balanced diet, I try to do Salad Night once a week. As you could imagine, this could become pretty monotonous – unless you’re a rabbit and you like that kind of thing.
When I met my husband in college, he did not eat lettuce. He didn’t eat too many vegetables actually. On our one year anniversary I prepared a three course meal, complete with Caesar Salad. He amused me and ate a couple bites. He said it was a texture thing. That I don’t get – lettuce is light, and crisp, and refreshing! After we got married and I fell in love with cooking, our pallets became more adventurous. His more so than mine I’m sad to admit. He eats vegetables now! And better yet, salads. He’ll even choose salad at a restaurant while I opt for the burger.
Buffalo Chicken Salad with Avocado Ranch
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1/4 C hot sauce
- 1 tbsp dry ranch seasoning
- 1/2 avocado
- 6 tbsp Ranch dressing
- 4 C salad mix
- 1 carrot, diced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and diced
- Marinate chicken for at least two hours in hot sauce and ranch seasoning. Grill chicken until cooked through.
- In a blender, puree avocado and ranch dressing.
- Assemble salad with remaining ingredients. Top with chicken and dressing.
*This recipe is modified from Amanda at http://www.theskinnyfork.com/blog/skinny-grilled-buffalo-chicken-salad*