It was the game day after our apple picking adventure and we were in need of something a little more substantial to munch on during the Michigan game. We had a lovely platter of cheese, crackers, and apple slices and my baked buffalo cauliflower. We actually kept a portion un-coated in the batter and I might even like them better sans-breading. (Gasp!)
It was decided that I should go ahead and make some meatballs. With an abundance of apples sitting on the table I thought it’d be a good idea to use them! Pork and apples are a classic combination that works well in meatball form, too.
We had mixed reviews on whether or not these appetizers needed a dip. While everyone enjoyed them plain-Jane, my husband couldn’t help himself from grabbing some honey. That man puts honey on just about everything.
My aunt couldn’t understand why they’d be served with anything and preferred them as is. I found that serving them with the honey we purchased at the apple orchard helped highlight the pork flavor and provided a sweetness that amplified the apple.
Pork and Apple Meatballs
- 1 1/2 lb ground pork
- 1 pkg (19 oz) Italian sausage
- 1 apple, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 2-3 tbsp diced red onion
- 1 egg
- S+P, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients until just incorporated. Form into ping-pong sized meatballs.
- Place in a lightly greased casserole dish and bake 20-30 minutes, or until an internal temperature of 160 deg F is reached.
- Serve with a drizzle of apple blossom honey (optional).