It’s no secret we like Brussels sprouts in this house and I love finding new ways to prepare them. Today’s version is one that is perfect for Christmas. Yesterday was all about last minute holiday recipes and this is the recipe that I was originally going to share with the Sunday Supper crew. The red bell pepper, red onion, and green Brussels sprouts look like Christmas and the glaze tastes like the holidays making it the perfect side dish to your ham or turkey this weekend.
I prepared these Brussels sprouts when my mom was here last month. She declared them her favorite sprouts recipe. (We actually cooked pork chops in the same pan from the Brussels sprouts – delicious!) She snapped a picture of the recipe on her cell phone and after her first grocery trip upon getting back home she messaged me saying she’d already bought the real maple syrup. That was her subtle way of informing me that I’d be making these again for Christmas. I will have to triple or quadruple the amount of Brussels sprouts and double the amount of glaze.
This recipe makes 3 servings.
Maple Glazed Brussels Sprouts
- 2 C halved Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 C real maple syrup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Cook Brussels sprouts in a pot of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Drain, rinse, and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat saute the peppers and onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts and cook another 4 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the syrup, soy sauce, and Dijon. Add to the skillet and coat the vegetable. Cook until glaze has thickened slightly.
*This recipe is adapted from Jeff at http://relish.com/recipes/maple-glazed-brussels-sprouts-video/*