It’s Secret Recipe Club Reveal Day! In the Secret Recipe Club, each participating blogger is assigned a blog from another participating blogger and secretly searches their site for something to recreate. The accompanying blog post then goes live on reveal day! So while I was immersed in my assigned blog, someone else was picking through mine! I’m so excited to be part of this group, to see what on my blog peaks other’s interests and to stumble upon new blogs and new recipes.
This month I had the ultimate pleasure of being assigned Fantastical Sharing of Recipes. Fantastical Sharing is written by none other than the leader of the Secret Recipe Club, Sarah! Sarah is a busy mom of 3 who manage to find the time to not only keep up with her extensive blog, but to also keep all of the SRC members in line. I don’t know where she finds the time! I do know from her Instagram account that she is a list maker and planner organizer. She has inspired me to purchase washi tape and beautify my Erin Condren planner, too!
I struggled finding something to make from Sarah’s blog, not because there wasn’t anything that interested me, but because 90% of her recipes are the types of foods we eat in my house! A lot of things I already have recipes for on my blog. But when I spotted her Stromboli I knew I had to make it! My husband and I are avid Cutthroat Kitchen watchers and earlier last season there was a stromboli challenge, my husband didn’t know what stromboli was so I explained that it’s essentially a rolled pizza, and that I’d been wanting to try making one. Checking this item off my culinary bucket list is why I didn’t pick her homemade ranch dressing mix, chocolate chip cookie dough overnight oatmeal, mozzarella sticks, or even Butterbeer! (If you know me but at all you know how hard that last one was to pass up.)
The stromboli was exactly what I was imagining it’d be. I took a little help from the grocery store and used a store-bought refrigerated dough, conveniently already in the shape of a rectangle. I also swapped the ham for deli-sliced pepperoni (not the small pizza sized pepperoni). I ran out of Parmesan cheese the night before so sprinkled the top of the stromboli with kosher salt instead.
We demolished the stromboli watching Auburn football – a perfect game day meal or appetizer!
- 1 pizza crust (store bought or homemade)
- 1/3 C marinara sauce (store bought or homemade), plus more for serving
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- hard salami
- deli pepperoni
- 1 egg, beaten (egg wash)
- dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F.
- Roll pizza dough into a rectangle, approximately 10×16″.
- Spread marinara sauce on the bottom two thirds of the dough.
- Top the sauce with shredded cheese, deli meats, and another layer of shredded cheese.
- Brush the uncovered portion of the dough with the egg wash. Fold the edges of the dough and brush with egg wash.
- Roll from the bottom up, like a jelly roll or roulade. Place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with kosher salt and parsley flakes.
- Bake 10-20 minutes, until dough is fully cooked. (The cook time will vary based on your dough recipe.) If the stromboli starts to burn, tent with aluminum foil. Allow stromboli to rest 5 minutes before slicing. Serve with additional marinara sauce if desired.
*This recipe is adapted from Sarah at http://www.fantasticalsharing.com/2013/08/stromboli.html*
To see the other bloggers who participated in the Secret Recipe Club this month click here: