Late spring and summer this year have been fairly wet. All of the rain yielded quite the tomato crop over in my neighbor’s yard. Which means just about every week I’m being given fresh homegrown tomatoes! (Black cherry tomatoes, heirloom tomatoes, and roma tomatoes) I’ve even been handed two quarts of homemade tomato sauce.
This pregnancy I’ve found that I adore tomatoes. BLTs have been shamelessly scarfed down for lunch at least once a week, and those cherry tomatoes turned into my favorite salad (tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, S+P).
I took a play on that aforementioned salad and added beans and basil to make a heartier potluck contribution at a church function.
Tomato and Bean Salad
- 1 can (15 oz) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 very large heirloom tomato, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil (I used Gourmet Garden lightly dried basil)
- 1 heaping tbsp minced red onion
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- In a large bowl, gently toss together beans, tomatoes, basil, and onion.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegars, oil, agave, and garlic. Season to taste with S+P.
- Dress salad and keep in refrigerator until ready to serve (at least 30 minutes).
*This recipe is adapted from Rebekah at http://rebekahrose.blogspot.ca/2015/07/bloggerclue-white-bean-tomato-and-basil.html*