I can’t believe I am actually posting with the Crazy Ingredient Challenge today! I loved seeing the winning flavor combination of Cashews and Coffee but simply kept forgetting about actually making my dish.
I immediately though of a play on a frappuccino, because you hear coffee you think Starbucks (or at least I do since my best friend is a store manager). I really wasn’t sure how to make that happen and simply pushed it out of my mind. But then I saw a commercial for cashew milk last week and this month’s challenge came screaming back to me. To be that guy in the almond milk commercials, “I don’t know what it tastes like so I don’t want to try it.” It’s not that I don’t want to try it, it’s that I don’t want to be stuck with a half gallon of cashew milk if I don’t like it!
Back to the drawing board and I thought of brownies. I know a lot of people add instant espresso to their chocolate desserts to intensify that chocolate flavor. And I only have a measly two recipes for brownies on this site. It’s a dessert I tend to forget about, but absolutely adore when I have them. These rich, fudgy brownies are studded with salty cashews for a perfect late night craving buster.
Fudgey Cashew Brownies
- 7 tbsp butter
- 8 oz semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp instant espresso coffee
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 C sugar
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C chopped cashews
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 (or 9×9) pan with foil and spray with cooking spray.
- Place butter, chocolate, espresso powder, and salt in a large glass bowl over a double boiler. Warm over low heat until butter and chocolate are melted together. Remove from double boiler (and heat).
- Mix in the sugars until combined. Mix in the eggs and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the flour until there aren’t any lumps. Fold in the cashews.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 22-25 minutes, until the brownies are set. Place pan on a cooling rack. Let brownies cool before cutting.
*This recipe is adapted from Yvonne at http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/10/one-bowl-espresso-cashew-brownies-recipe.html*
To see the other bloggers who participated in this month’s Crazy Ingredient Challenge click on the link below.
12 thoughts on “CIC: Cashews and Coffee”
Those look amazing! Hubby craves brownies so I’ll have to give these a try. Great recipe!
I’m not going to lie… They’re quite amazing…
Mmmmmmmmm! love fudgy brownies. I’ll be making these soon.
They’re super fudgey!!
I love fudge like brownies and these look to die for.
You’d love these then. Fudgey brownies are my favorite version, too.
Delicious! I love adding coffee to my brownie mix but normally use pecans or walnuts, even though cashews are my favorite. These look so fudgy!
Yum, walnuts. I do love snacking on cashews – the salty goodness and their creamy texture. 🙂
I tasted some brownies yesterday and immediately wondered why I don’t make brownies very often. I’m definitely making yours soon!
I hope you like them as much as we do! This is probably the first sweet since I can remember that I haven’t shared outside of our home!
I haven’t made brownies for so long.. these are perfect and sounds awesome. Perfect recipe for the challenge.
I hadn’t either. And now the pan’s been empty for a few days and I wish I had more!