Last year I shared the plans for the Fourth of July quilt that was already underway.
Over two years later, my goal of completing this quilt by the Fourth did indeed happen.
In February of this year (2015) Old Glory was finally completed and ready to be taken to the quilters! On June 16th I got a call that Old Glory was ready for pick up (three days before I was expecting it) and on the 20th I had finally gotten the binding sewn on.
Getting the binding on the quilt ended up being a challenge as I was one strip short of having enough fabric to go all the way around the quilt. I had to do some finagling but I got it to work. Instead of sewing the binding strips on a bias to reduce bulk I simply sewed straight lines at a 1/4″ seam allowance. The last strip of “just too skiny” fabric was cut in half, sewn together lengthwise, and trimmed to 2 1/4″ before being attached to the long strip of binding. I am relieved to say that even knowing where the “awkward” location on the binding is, I struggle to find it. Phew!
All that’s left to do is create the tag for Old Glory and sew it on. But for this year, it’s as good as ready for our first family of three firework watching. (Here’s to hoping my now one-year-old enjoys the bright flashes of light and loud bangs…)
I wish you all a safe and happy Fourth of July.
And God Bless America.
5 thoughts on “Old Glory – completed!”
WOW. That is really wonderful. Unique. I love it. Have a good week. Sarah
Thank you, Sarah!! I’m so happy with how it turned out.
That is GORGEOUS!!
Thank you. 🙂