Happy April everyone! Did you know April might just be the best food month EVER?! Coffee cake day, caramel popcorn day, and healthy kids day are among the fun food holidays this month, along with BLT month and soft pretzel month. But today, Foodie Extravaganza is celebrating grilled cheese month, hosted by Lauren of From Gate to Plate.
Grilled cheese is a go-to lunch or dinner in my house for days we just don’t feel like cooking. I’m looking forward to the great list from this event to add some twists to the classic sandwich.
I decided to go sweet. I was going to use cream cheese, but I had mascarpone in my fridge and decided to use that. To be honest, I would have preferred the extra tang from the cream cheese, but my husband loved it as is. Use whatever you enjoy best. I only used two slices of bacon but next time, I’m going to up that to 3. Those bacony bites were the best ones!
Bacon Apple Mascarpone Grilled Cheese
- 2-3 strips center cut bacon
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, diced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 4 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 tbsp mascarpone cheese
- butter, for spreading
- In a small skillet over medium heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove and set on a paper towel lined plate.
- Cook apple in the bacon grease until tender. Stir in the brown sugar, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Crumble the bacon and stir into the apples. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread butter on one side of each slice of bread.
- Spread 1 tbsp mascarpone cheese on the non-buttered side of two pieces of bread. Top with half of the apple mixture.
- Spread a thin layer of more mascarpone cheese on the non-buttered side of the remaining bread. Place cheese side down on top of the apples.
- Cook grilled cheese until golden brown, flip and repeat until cheese is soft and gooey.
Be sure to check out the rest of these ooey-gooey grilled cheese recipes:
French Toast Grilled Cheese with Balsamic Berry Compote by Rholinelle at The Joyful Foodie