Last weekend we were celebrating spring with the Sunday Supper Movement. In spring moods lighten with the weather and the first of April brings hopefully well-humored pranks pulled on friends and loved ones.
As a kid I don’t remember ever “celebrating” April Fool’s Day. Honestly, I’m not that clever and can’t keep a straight face very well. I also really hate awkward situations and most pranks yield in someone’s embarrassment. Jokes weren’t ever really pulled in my family, but I know some families and roommates who have never ending prank wars!
I do remember one prank I pulled. I took violin lessons from 4th-11th grade and one April 1st I thought it’d be funny to pretend I forgot my violin. I left my violin outside the door of my teacher’s classroom and told her I didn’t have it. She got a little irritated but there wouldn’t have been any harm done as she always had an extra. See, I’m not very good at the prank pulling.
I’d never thought of foods as being prank-friendly, but I was introduced to fun recipes through Food Network magazines and Pinterest. These are pranks I can get behind. Savory foods that look like desserts or cupcakes made of paper. One thing that’s always amused me are meatloaf cupcakes with mashed potato frosting. So, that’s what I did!
Thanks to T.R. of Gluten Free Crumbley for challenging our imaginations with this April Fool’s #SundaySupper! Scroll past my recipe for more ideas on how to put a smile on your family’s faces.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 C finely diced onion
- 1/4 C finely diced celery
- 1/4 C finely diced carrot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 C Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp ketchup, plus more for topping
- 2 C of your favorite creamy mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly grease 9 cups of a muffin tin.
- In a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, saute onion, celery, and carrot in the olive oil. Cook until veggies are tender. Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl combine ground beef, breadcrumbs, egg, and 1 tbsp ketchup. Add in the veggies.
- Spoon meatloaf into prepared muffin tin, pack it down. Brush tops of meatloaf with additional ketchup if desired.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Place creamy mashed potatoes in a plastic bag, cut a corner, and pipe onto the meatloaf cupcakes.
- Pina Colada Smoothie by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Beer Jelly by Brunch with Joy
- Berry Smoothie Incognito by Lifestyle Food Aristry
- Mashed Potato Sundaes by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Roasted Broccoli Dip by Cooking Chat
- Honey Nut Baked Brie Bloomin’ Apple by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
Sides & Snacks
- Shepherd’s Trifle by The Joyful Foodie
- Sneaky Veggie Spaghetti Sauce by Small Wallet, Big Appetite
- Meatloaf “Cupcakes” with Mashed Potato “Frosting” by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- April Fools’ Strawberry Pie by Curious Cuisiniere
- Skinny Fettuccine Alfredo & Peas by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Pad Thai with Zoodles by Nosh My Way
- Middle Eastern Roast Chicken with Green Harissa by The Texan New Yorker
- Beef Avocado and Tomato Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Fake-out Sliders and Fries by The Redhead Baker
- Pot Luck Chili Cupcakes by Palatable Pastime
- Strawberry Fool by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bacon and “Egg” Cupcakes by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti and Meatballs Cupcakes by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Poutine by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Chocolate Cauliflower Cake by What Smells So Good?
- Fudgy Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Fruit Pizza by Whole Food | Real Families
- Mud Pies by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Gluten Free Joker Cakes by Gluten Free Crumbley
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.