When the theme for March’s Weekday Supper posts was declared “Green” I knew that I immediately had to sign up for a slot. I’ve been reading my fair share of Dr. Seuss books to my little man and the first thing that popped in my head was “Green Eggs and Ham.”
#WeekdaySupper is a great movement by the #SundaySupper crew. Easy weeknight meals that can be done in under 30 minutes, without crazy, hard-to-find ingredients. This initiative is one we can all get behind. It’s important to gather around the table during the week, too!
We have breakfast for dinner about twice a month. Usually that means waffles or pancakes but eggs are also a great breakfast-for-dinner option. And the healthier option too. The best part is that eggs are unbelievably quick and you can be serving this literary dinner to your family in under 20 minutes.
Try them. You might like them.
There are a variety of methods for making green eggs and I opted to go in a direction without the use of food coloring. Recall my attempt at Green Velvet Cake! If you search for “green eggs and ham” on the internet you’ll find ways to make green eggs, and dishes that combine the eggs and ham into one bite (a quiche, for example). I wanted to serve green eggs and green ham. While the book shows sunny side up green eggs I’m not sure that’s even quite possible so I did go the scrambled route. I followed Martha Stewart’s recipe which involved making a nut-free pesto. I used that pesto to dredge a slice of ham steak in panko. The result – green ham!
Green Eggs and Ham
- 2 C fresh spinach/arugula blend
- 1 C fresh basil
- 2 C fresh Italian parsley
- 3 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 C extra virgin olive oil
- eggs, 2 per person
- ham steak, 3oz per person
- 1 C panko
- unsalted butter, for frying
- In the bowl of a food processor combine spinach/arugula, basil, parsley, and Parmesan. Pulse until fine. Add the olive oil and pulse until combined. Season to taste with S+P.
- Brush some of the pesto on both sides of the ham steaks. Coat in panko.
- Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook ham steaks 3 minutes on each side, until crust is golden and steak is warmed through. Remove from skillet. Repeat as needed.
- Beat eggs. Mix in 1 tbsp pesto per two eggs, season with S+P.
- Wipe out skillet and add a little more butter. Pour eggs into skillet. With a spatula or wooden spoon gently move eggs around and cook until desired consistency is reached. Serve with green ham.
*The egg recipe is adapted from Martha at http://www.marthastewart.com/893674/green-eggs-and-ham*
Check out these other great green recipes that were posted this week
Monday – Greek Shrimp and Spinach Pasta by Recipes Food and Cooking
Tuesday – Scallops with Wilted Spinach and Arugula by MealDiva
Wednesday – Rice and Beans with Guacamole by Feed Me, Seymour
Thursday – Barley Risotto with Garlicky Spinach by eating in instead