I end my series of Thanksgiving leftovers with the perfect holiday breakfast – coffee cake!
I use my go-to coffee cake recipe but add in the flavors of Thanksgiving. My filling is cranberry sauce and the topping features orange and fall spices.
This is my third time making this coffee cake base and I think it’s my best outcome yet! I highly recommend using sour cream over yogurt, and buy the full fat stuff. I think that’s the difference, that or the Kroger brand of sour cream is better than the Publix brand. (Sorry Publix, I still love you and miss shopping where “Shopping is a Pleasure.”)
Cranberry Coffee Cake
Ingredients for topping:
- 3/8 C flour
- 1/3 C brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon*
- 1/8 tsp ginger*
- 1/8 tsp cloves*
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg*
- pinch of salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 C rolled oats
*If you have pumpkin pie spice, you can use 1/2 tsp instead
Ingredients for cake:
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 stick butter, at room temperature
- 1 C sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 C sour cream
- 1 C cranberry sauce
- Make the topping: whisk together the flour, brown sugar, spices, zest, oats and salt. Using your fingers, break the butter into small pieces and combine with the topping. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8″ square cake pan with foil and grease.
- Make the cake: In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a the bowl of a stand mixer beat butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla.
- Incorporate a third of the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Once combined add 1/2 C of sour cream. Add another third of the dry ingredients. Once combined add the last 1/2 C of sour cream. Add in the final third of the dry ingredients.
- Assemble the cake: Place half of the cake batter in the prepared cake pan. Evenly distribute the cranberry sauce and top with remaining batter. Top the cake with the topping from step 1.
- Bake for 65 minutes, or until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Allow cake to cool for 5 minutes and remove the cake from the pan by the foil. Serve your cake with a cup of coffee!