This month #BundtBakers is getting ready or the party season by using alcohol in our cakes and/or icings! #BundtBakers is a group of bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bundts with a common ingredient or theme. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme or ingredient. This month’s theme is Booze and our happy host is Lauren of From Gate to Plate.
When it comes to alcohol, I like to hide my booze behind sugar and fruit. I am the stereotypical girl who likes her fruity drinks. And I do not drink beer. I’m pretty sensitive and definitely a lightweight so I don’t often find myself with a cocktail in hand. There are few drinks that I find worth it. But what I do love is Kahlua. In hot chocolate, over ice cream, in rootbeer, as a float. And now, in cake!
It was a no-brainier for me to select Kahlua as my booze choice. And this cake is strong! I was going to use Kahlua instead of milk in my buttercream but after tasting the crumbs of the cake the extra booze simply wasn’t necessary. What I love about this cake, other than the flavor, is the texture. When I picked it up I thought it was going to be too heavy and dense, but it’s not, it actually reminded me of brownies! Brownies with Kahlua! Topping the cake with vanilla buttercream is the perfect compliment and balances the booze well.
Chocolate Kahlua Bundt Cake
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 C Kahlua
- 3/4 C milk
- 2 C sugar
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the eggs, oil, vanilla, Kahlua, milk, and sugar.
- In a bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder.
- Add dry ingredients to the stand mixer in two batches, mixing until combined after each addition.
- Pour cake batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake 60 – 70 minutes, until a knife comes out cleanly.
- Allow cake to cool completely before topping with vanilla buttercream frosting.
*This recipe is adapted from Elizabeth at http://www.thecollegiatebaker.com/2012/12/chocolate-kahlua-cake-with-white.html?m=1*
If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send an email with your blog URL to email@example.com. All recipes and photographs can be found on our individual blogs, on our Pinterest board, and the #bundtbakers homepage.
And don’t forget to take a peek at what other talented bakers have baked this month: