Last month’s Foodie Extravaganza celebrated pretzels and caramel. I used the leftovers to try my very first bread pudding.
I’d never made bread pudding or eaten bread pudding before. Something about it made me shy away. I’m not a fan of scrambled eggs and don’t like it when there’s too much custard on my french toast. Stuart was requesting a bread pudding so with the pretzel rolls we couldn’t finish in time I finally gave in.
And it was good! Especially with some fresh green apple to combat the sweetness. Bread pudding seemed essentially to be a baked french toast and with the caramel it reminded me of a flan.
Pretzel Caramel Bread Pudding
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 2 1/4 C milk
- 2 1/4 C heavy cream
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 – 1 lb stale soft pretzels or bread, cubed
- 6 tbsp caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs with brown sugar, milk, cream, vanilla, and salt.
- Toss pretzel cubes in custard. Pour into a 9×13″ caserole dish. Top with caramel.
- Bake covered for 20-30 minutes until custard is set.
*This recipe is modified from Riley at http://www.mydailymorsel.com/2013/04/09/salted-caramel-bread-pudding/ *