Steak isn’t the only way for me to add iron into my diet – another option is spinach. Spinach is also the more heart friendly way to do it too. 😉 So with more red meat recipes, there’s also a chance for more salad nights!
I found this particular recipe when I was going through my very first Secret Recipe Club assignment. And now that this is the second recipe I’ve made from Lynsey’s blog – I am willing to bet my other pinned recipes from her will also be a big hit.
This salad recipe called out to me not only because of the iron rich spinach, but because of the pineapple dressing!
Spinach Salad with Spicy Pineapple Dressing
- 2 large chicken breasts, cut in half length-wise so they’re thin
- 1 tsp ancho chili powder
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro
- 1/2 jalapeno, seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 1/4 C cubed fresh pineapple, divided use
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C extra virgin olive oil
- 8 C fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- Season chicken with chili powder, salt, and pepper. Grill 4 minutes on each side, or until chicken is cooked through. Set aside.
- In a blender combine cilantro, jalapeno, garlic, half of the pineapple, orange juice, and vinegar. Pulse until smooth. With the blender running, stream in the olive oil. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- In a large bowl toss the spinach with the bell pepper, onion, and remaining pineapple.
- To serve: distribute salad, top with chicken, and dress with pineapple dressing.
*This recipe is adapted from Lynsey at http://www.lynseylous.com/2012/05/grilled-chicken-and-spinach-salad-with.html?m=1*